Bristol is Open
Bristol is Open
What 'Bristol is Open' is about: Its projects, history and future.
Between 2013 and 2014, we had received funding from Building Digital UK’s, Super-Connected Cities programme. We used it to establish multiple communications technologies and enable smart city research, development and innovation.
Bristol is Open (BiO), a joint venture between us and the University of Bristol, developed a ‘test-bed’ programmable, digital infrastructure, that launched in April 2015.
What has happened under ‘Bristol is Open’?
We used our city-wide infrastructure to evaluate new digital technologies, smart city research, development and innovation.
- Software Defined Networking (SDN)
- Internet of Things (IoT) and Big Data Analytics
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
- CCTV analytics
- High Performance Computing (HPC)
Our smart city projects:
- The Big Clout project evaluated Internet of Things, cloud computing and Big Data applications.
- The Replicate project, in which Bristol was a lead city, deployed energy efficiency, mobility and Information and Communications Technology solutions in city districts.
- The 5G Smart Tourism project deployed 5G, to provide CCTV feeds, trial crowd analytics and apply millimeter wave technologies for pop-up event control. The project also trialled the use of a low power wide area network (LoRaWan) and Internet of Things (IoT) sensors for a marshall tracking system.
The future of Bristol is Open
After three years of operation, Bristol Is Open has moved out of its research and development phase.
Bristol Is Open services are now solely owned and operated by us and the platform has evolved to help address the challenges of the city moving forwards.
Benefits of us taking direct control of BiO are;
- enhanced collaboration between different service areas
- closer alignment between the strategic management and development of the BiO network and our emerging smart and digital agendas
Visit Connecting Bristol to find out more about our smart city ambitions.