What a rogue landlord is and how to report one.

A rogue landlord is a landlord who doesn't meet their legal obligations to provide safe accommodation and carries out unlawful activities. This could include:

  • harassing or illegally evicting a tenant
  • renting a property that doesn't meet basic legal standards, such as a property in a poor state of repair or with a low EPC rating 
  • renting a property without a licence, when a licence is needed
  • renting unsuitable accommodation, such as shed, garage or garden shelter, which may not have planning permission or building consent (known as a 'bed in a shed')
  • charging unlawful fees (this also applies to letting agents)

We can take action against rogue landlords or letting agents so that:

  • tenants aren't exploited
  • tenants' homes are well managed and safe to live in
  • they meet the necessary legal requirements

Tell us about a rogue landlord or letting agent

You can:

Email private.housing@bristol.gov.uk or call 0117 352 5010 to tell us:

If your landlord has committed an offence, such as illegally evicting you or not having a property licence, you may be able to claim back up to 12 months' rent

Contact information

Private Housing Team (100TS)

Bristol City Council
PO Box 3399
Bristol, BS1 9NE

Contact details

Email: private.housing@bristol.gov.uk
Tel: 0117 352 5010