If you own a listed building you might need consent to carry out any works to it.

Most types of work to the inside and outside of a listed building will need consent, but minor work might only need a Certificate of Lawfulness. Find out more about making alterations to a listed building.

Making an application

Applications for Listed Building Consent can be made on the Planning Portal website.

Apply for Listed Building Consent
or apply for a Certificate of Lawfulness

Find out more about making a planning application.

How long it takes

We'll let you know if consent has been given within eight weeks, or 13 weeks for major proposals. This includes a 21-day period where neighbours and other interested parties will be consulted.

If the application involves a Grade I or Grade II* listed building, demolition, or is particularly complicated, the case will be passed to Historic England for expert advice and will take longer.

If consent is refused

If consent is refused, you have six months to appeal to the Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG), or you can change your plans based on the advice given to you and apply again.

Historic England grants

You could get a Historic England grant for repairs to a listed building.