Barton House evacuation: information for residents.

What to do if you think a protected tree is unsafe and needs to be removed urgently.

If you want to tell us about a fallen or dangerous tree that's on council land or a danger to the highway, use our report a problem with a tree form.

If a tree is protected by a preservation order or in a conservation area you must give us at least five working days' notice before you carry out works on a dead or dangerous tree.

If you take down or do other works to a tree in an emergency, you must notify us in writing as soon as possible after the works become necessary. You could be prosecuted if we think you've carried out unauthorised works.

How to give us notice


You must tell us the location of the tree and why it must be removed urgently.

Replacing the tree

If you remove a tree because it's dead or dangerous, you may be asked to plant another tree that is:

  • of a suitable size and species
  • in the same place as the tree felled

This should be done as soon as possible in the first planting season after the removal of the tree. The new tree will have the same legal protection as the tree it replaced.

Works to dying trees

You can no longer give 5 days' notice of works to dying trees. You must now apply for permission or give us notice to prune or remove dying trees.

What happens if you cut down protected trees without permission

You could be prosecuted.  If convicted, you may be fined up to £20,000 in the Magistrates Court for each tree. You would also need to replace any tree removed without permission.

Contact information

Development Management

City Hall
PO Box 3399
Bristol, BS1 9NE

Tel: 0117 922 3000