How we work out what you will pay

Most people have to pay towards the cost of their care and support. Many people have to pay for all of their care. We may pay the difference between what you pay and the total cost of your care if:

  • we agree the care you need
  • you can't afford it

The amount of money that we can pay towards the cost of your care depends on your financial situation. This includes:

  • your income
  • savings and investments
  • property you own
  • essential regular costs

You'll also need to pay for some services such as meals on wheels and personal alarm systems.

For more information about the cost of your care, read pdf Information about Bristol City Council Care and Support charges (312 KB) .

To find out more about your costs, you can either:
call:  0117 903 7706
write to:  Client and Carer Financial Services (City Hall), Bristol City Council, PO Box 3399, Bristol, BS1 9NE.

COVID-19 and financial assessments

We're running financial assessments remotely. 

If there's been a delay between the start date of your care and support package, and the date when we were able to undertake your financial assessment, you'll be charged retrospectively. 

We'll give you all the necessary information about our charging policy. This is so you can make an informed decision about accepting care and support.

How savings change what you will pay

The amount of money you have in savings or assets such as premium bonds or shares affects how much we'll ask you to pay towards the cost of your care. You'll always have to pay a contribution from your income, unless the service you receive is exempt from a care and support charge.

£23,250 Savings
You'll need to pay for all your care and support if you have more than £23,250 in savings and assets.

£14,250 Savings
If you have less than £14,250 savings and assets, we won't include them when we work out what you will have to pay towards your care. We'll only include your regular income.

How moving into a care home may affect a home you own

If you need us to give you financial support and you own your home, you might need to sell it to pay for your own care.

  • There are times when you won't need to sell your home, including:
  •  you normally live there and have only gone into a care home for a short stay
  • your partner or former partner still lives there, unless you're separated or divorced
  • one of your family is over 60 or need care themselves, as long as they were living there when you went into the care home
  • in some circumstances if your carer gave up their own home to live in your home to care for you

Short stays

Your home shouldn't be affected if you go into a care home for a short stay of up to 12 weeks. We may be able to give you a weekly allowance for some of your domestic expenses such as rent, mortgage payments, council tax, water and sewerage rates, gas, electricity and telephone.

Long stays

We only include the value of your home in your finances:

  • 12 weeks after you permanently move into a care home
  • or from the date you sell it, if this is within the first 12 weeks

We won't include the value of your home if your savings and assets fall below £14,250 within those 12 weeks.

Deferred payments

You may be able to use the value of your home to help pay care home costs without selling it. Find out more about Deferred payment agreements