Support for parents and carers
Research shows that parenting is the single most important influence on a child’s life chances.
We want to support parents and carers so that they have the confidence, skills, knowledge and understanding to build a strong family life which keeps children safe, healthy, happy and successful.
‘Parenting support’ is a term that is used to describe any activity aimed at providing information, advice and support to parents and carers to help them in bringing up their children. This includes:
- 1 to 1 and parent group support.
- Parenting programmes and courses.
- Information, advice and guidance about parenting issues.
- Opportunities for parents to get involved and have a say.
- Resources to help parents do a good job.
Support with education
- For support with schooling and education issues, visit the Schools pages.
- For help resolving problems with a school, visit the School complaints and comments page.
- Guidance on exclusions can be found on the DfE website.
Support for family and friends caring for children
The Family and friends care policy (pdf, 195 KB) (opens new window) sets out how Bristol City Council may support family and friends carers and the children they are caring for.
Children who are unable to live with their birth parents may be living with other family members, friends or other people connected with them with whom they have an existing relationship.
There is information here about useful services, the law and about policies for families and professionals working with them.
A Family and friends care policy information sheet (pdf, 100 KB) (opens new window) is also available.
Support in keeping children safe from harm
If you have any concerns about a child or young person please do not leave it to someone else to deal with, particularly if you think that a child is being neglected or abused.
Support is available from our Social Work Assessment Teams and you can discuss any concerns about a child with a social worker.
Disabled Children’s Services
The Disabled Children Service provides a range of assessments and services for disabled children in Bristol, who have needs arising from their impairment which cannot be met by services available to all children.
- Quality Improvement Framework for Family Support (pdf, 1.3 MB) (pdf, 1.3MB) (opens new window)
- Handbook for parents and carers in Bristol (pdf, 1.3 MB) (pdf, 1.3MB) (opens new window)
- Parenting and Family Support Strategy and Action Plan - Dec 12 (pdf, 145 KB) (pdf, 145k) (opens new window)
- Final Carers Strategy - Celebrating Achievement (pdf, 0.6 MB) (pdf, 613k) (opens new window)