Taxi complaints

Taxi complaints

How to complain

If you want to complain about a taxi or private hire company you can complain directly to the driver or company. If you’ve already tried this and weren’t happy with the result, you can complain to us.

It’ll help us if you can give details about the driver or vehicle, things like:

  • The driver’s licence badge number - found on the front of the vehicle and on the driver’s badge.
  • The vehicle’s plate number - issued by us and found on the front and rear of the vehicle.
  • The vehicle’s registration number.

To make a complaint use our comments and complaints form.

What happens if you complain?

  • We investigate your complaint fully and in confidence.
  • If we’re able to help with your complaint, the driver may have to attend a meeting of the council’s Public Safety and Protection Committee, which has the power to suspend or take away their licence.
  • If a crime has been committed and there is sufficient evidence to prosecute the driver you’ll be asked to make a witness statement and may have to attend at court.
  • If the police are dealing with an incident, we must wait until the police investigation is completed before we investigate.

Lost property

All reports for lost property while using a taxi or private hire company should be done using the police report my loss website or by phoning the police non-emergency number on 101.