Where to live

Where to live

Choosing where you live and what support you can get

Choose where to live

Living independently means having the right support to do things when and how you want. As you get older, you are able to make decisions about your life and how you live it.  This includes deciding where you want to live. 

You can choose to:

  • stay at home 
  • rent with a private landlord
  • join the housing register
  • buy your own home 
  • move into supported accommodation  
  • live with an approved carer 

See Mencap’s answers to some frequently asked questions about housing.

You can also ask someone on the Scope online forum if you need advice about housing 

Stay at home 

You may decide that you would like to continue living with your family.
To continue living at home you may need some changes to be made to the home, or you may need some extra support. 

To make changes to your home you can:

•    apply for adaptions or equipment for your home
•    apply to get a Disabled Facilities Grant 
•    find out more information on Shelter’s guide to help with adaptions to your home

 You can find out more about getting extra support in your home from:

•    the Brandon Trust who offer flexible support at your home 
•    the Supporting People programme 

Rent with a private landlord

You can find out on the council website:

The Private Renting Team at the council can give advice and guidance to ensure renting is successful, email private.renting@bristol.gov.uk 

Join the housing register

The council provides housing for some priority groups, including people who are homeless, at risk of being homeless and people with physical or learning disabilities. 

Find out more about:

•    priority groups on Shelter’s website 
•    applying to Bristol’s Housing Register 

Buy your own home 

Having your own home can help you feel secure and independent. 
If you have a disability, the HOLD scheme can help you buy on a shared ownership basis.

You can search on the house shop for properties that are accessible or have disabled access 

Move into supported accommodation 

Supported accommodation is when you move into a shared home with a few other people with a similar disability. Each person has their own bedroom; the rest of the property is shared space. There are different types of accommodation based on the provider.  

Find out about different accommodation services local to you in the council’s  Directory of Housing Related Support Services

Learn about your rights in supported housing on the Shelter website 

Buckley Court: supported living for deaf people

Buckley Court is a purpose-built supported housing property for deaf or deafblind adults. It has eight one-bedroom flats and two of these flats on the ground floor have disabled access.

Live with an approved carer 

People over the age of 18 with learning or physical disabilities can be paired with an approved carer, who shares their home with you to give you care, support and housing. Find out more at Shared Lives