A plan to improve outcomes for children and young people with SEND.
What the children and young people's outcomes framework is
The pdf children and young people's outcomes framework (306 KB) is a plan that helps children and young people with SEND and their families write down what they want to happen.
Who is the framework for
The framework is for children and young people with SEND, and:
- their families
- their carers
- the professionals who work with them
The framework helps children and young people set outcomes. Outcomes are goals that are important to children and young people, such as:
- I want to be happy
- I want to have fun
- I want to spend time with my friends and family
There are 4 outcome themes, which are:
- independence: the child or young person should be able to do as much for themselves as possible
- relationships: the child or young person should have supportive family and friends
- health: the child or young person should be healthy and safe
- learning and jobs: the child or young person should be able to learn new things, and aspire to a job they'll enjoy
The framework helps the child, their family and the professionals working with them to write outcomes about these themes.
Help to understand outcomes
The Council for Disabled Children have created outcomes explainer resources, to help practitioners, parents and carers get a shared understanding of outcomes, outputs, and impact.
We have the children and young people's outcomes framework in other formats.
- Audio version
- pdf Easy Read booklet (694 KB)
- Audio version of the Easy Read booklet
Tell us what you think
We'd like to review how the outcomes framework is being used.
If you've used it, email us on email@example.com and tell us:
- how you're using the outcomes framework in your work
- the impact of the outcomes framework on your work
- the impact of using the outcomes framework with families
- how easy it is to use the outcomes framework
- anything else you'd like us to know