When you need to renew your property licence, what to do if you need to make changes to the licence and what information you need to fill in the online form.
Who can apply for a renewal
You can renew if all of the following apply:
- you already have a mandatory HMO licence
- the licence holders are the same as the current licence
- you apply no later than 28 days after the licence expiry date
- there are no changes to the type of licence you need for the property
You must apply to renew your Mandatory HMO licence if you still want to privately rent the property.
Changes to licence holders
You can't add or remove licence holder details when renewing a licence. To change licence holder details, you must apply for a new licence.
Change to licence type
The type of licence you need might be different to the one we originally issued if:
- the number of occupants has changed
- the number of households has changed
- the scheme your property is in has changed
Go to the types of property licence page for information about current schemes.
Properties currently licensed under the Stapleton road additional licensing scheme
You must apply for a new mandatory HMO licence or a new additional licence if your property now comes under the new Central Additional Licensing area in the Easton Ward.
The form will automatically work out the type of licence you need.
We'll write to you two months before your additional licence is due to expire with more information.
When to apply
You can renew your licence:
- 2 months before the expiry date
- up to 28 days after the expiry date
The expiry date of your property licence is shown on your licence.
We'll send you a reminder approximately two months before your licence is due to expire. The letter will have a link to the online renewal application form.
If you apply after the licence expiry date
If more than 28 days has passed since the licence expiry date you'll need to apply for a new licence.
Go to the Fees, discounts and extra charges for HMO mandatory licences page.
Before you apply
To fill in the form, you'll need:
- an email address
- around 15 minutes to complete the form
- mortgage company details
- names, addresses and contact details of the owners, a managing agent or anyone else who has a legal interest in the property
- details of other licence holders, including date of birth
- payment card details to pay the part one fee
You must make a legal declaration about any material changes that have taken place since the last application.
Material change means there has been a change to the:
- type of property
- details of other properties you hold a licence for
- number of storeys and which levels those storeys are on
- number of separate letting units
- number of habitable rooms, bathrooms and shower rooms, toilets and wash hand basins, kitchens and sinks
- number of households occupying
- number of people occupying
- details of fire precautions equipment, including the number and location of smoke alarms
- details of fire escape routes and other fire safety training provided
- declaration that the furniture provided is safe
- declaration that gas appliance meet safety requirements