Data protection and subject access requests

Data protection and subject access requests

What a subject access request is and how to see the information we hold about you.

What is a subject access request

You have the right to make a request for personal information about yourself, or another person if they have given their consent. This is called a subject access request.

You can ask for: 

  • confirmation that your personal data is being processed by us
  • access to your personal data
  • the reasons why we’re using your data 
  • other supplementary information such as who we share your information with, our legal reason for using it, how long we keep your data for etc.  This supplementary information largely corresponds with the information provided to you at the time we collect your data

How to make a subject access request

The easiest way to make a subject access request is through our web form.

The documents you'll need

When you make a request we’ll need to see some documents that confirm: 

  • Evidence of your identity; such as a passport, driving licence or birth certificate 
  • Evidence of your current address; such as a utility bill, bank statement or other official document

Here is a full list of acceptable documents (pdf, 36KB) (opens new window)  that can be used as as proof of your identity. These documents will need to be certified as a true copy of the original. 

How to certify your ID

For information on certifying your ID visit the GOV.UK certifying page.

The Post Office offers a certification service whereby copies of original I.D. documents can be certified as true. 

Make a request

To complete our form you will need to have an electronic copy of your certified ID and proof of address ready to upload.

Make a subject access request

Or complete and return our subject access request form (pdf, 149KB) (opens new window) .

CCTV in Bristol

You have the right to request Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) footage of yourself.

Your additional rights

You can ask to:

  • have your information corrected
  • have your information deleted
  • restrict how we process your information
  • stop processing your information
  • stop automated decision profiling

You will need to contact the relevant department or council officer with your request.

Your privacy

The General Data Protection Regulations controls the way we store and use your personal information.

Your privacy is important to us and we take great care to protect it.

Privacy statement: what we do with your personal data 

How long we keep our records 

Our Retention Schedule (spreadsheet, 284KB) (opens new window)  shows how long we keep records for.