Who is responsible for cleaning and managing sites?
Caretaking Services are responsible for the site management and cleaning of over 150 sites citywide. Please see Caretaking Services duties (pdf, 30 KB) (opens new window) for information on all of their responsibilities.
Each site is maintained by a team of Area Caretakers, of which there are 10 citywide, who work:
- Monday to Thursday, 7.30am to 4pm.
- Fridays, 7.30am to 3.30pm.
On larger sites morning weekend cover is provided where needed. To find out who the Area Caretakers are where you live please look on the Caretaking Services site notice board. This is normally in the foyer, or laundry if you have one. Alternatively please contact Caretaking Services.
How often should sites be cleaned?
The type and frequency of caretaking tasks vary according to the needs of the site. A site specification (pdf, 21 KB) (opens new window) lists the tasks that will be done at each site. You can find this on display on the Caretaking Services site noticeboard. If you would like a copy please contact Caretaking Services.
Report a cleaning or site management issue
To report anything between 8.30am and 6pm please contact Caretaking Services. Outside of these times, if it's an emergency, contact our Emergency Control Centre:
- Telephone: 0117 922 2050.
- Textphone: 0117 922 3892.
- Fax: 0117 922 2379.
Some of our low rise sheltered housing sites are cleaned by a contractor, with their work monitored by Caretaking Services. To find out if this is the case where you live or if you have a comment please contact Caretaking Services.
How are standards of cleaning monitored?
Every site must achieve a minimum standard of cleanliness. We carry out regular site inspections to check the cleanliness and site management of each site. They also help identify any repairs that are needed or any tenancy issues. The inspections involve:
- Tenants and or Area Caretakers walking around the site. They will check a number of elements such as external areas, bin rooms and staircases.
- Each element is given a score, which is recorded on a site inspection form. The site must meet a set minimum score for it to be judged as being satisfactory.
- If any element is judged to be unsatisfactory, actions to resolve this will be agreed with the Caretakers that are responsible for the site.
- The results of each inspection, including any actions required, are displayed on the Caretaking Services site noticeboard.
When do site inspections take place?
- Most sites are inspected monthly, though this varies from site to site.
- If you have time you would be very welcome to join us on an inspection. Inspections usually start by the main entrance.
- You can find out when inspections take place at your site by looking on the Caretaking Services site noticeboard or by contacting Caretaking Services.
How much does the service cost?
The amount that you pay for the caretaking service depends on how much cleaning your site requires. There are five charges in total. For more information please see rent and service charges.