Rent and service charges
Rent and service charges
Rent and service charges are calculated according to the type of home you live in and the services you receive.
We increase rent and service charges every year. We'll give you 28 days notice of any changes to your rent and service charges.
How we set your rent
- The rent you pay is set according to a national formula.
- The formula is the same for both council and housing association tenants.
- The rent of your home is calculated individually, based on a formula set out in the guidelines. It takes into account:
- average earnings for the Bristol area
- number of bedrooms in your home
- valuation of your home (at 1999 values)
- As the changes in rents are being made over a number of years, any change (up or down) will be gradual.
- For the last 4 years rents have decreased by 1% each year, in line with government policy
You may have to pay service charges. Some charges are based on the size of your property or level of service that you receive.
Weekly service charge costs
- Door assisted: £5.94
- Non door assisted: £4.83
Clorius heating prepayment charge
- Bedsit: £8.68
- One bedroom property: £9.03
- Two bedroom property: £11.46
- Three bedroom property: £11.68
- Four bedroom property: £11.94
Clorius heating service charge
- Bed sit: £0.95
- One bedroom property: £1.09
- Two bedroom property: £1.38
- Three bedroom property: £1.66
- Four bedroom property: £1.94
Concessionary heating charge
- One bedroom property: £10.46
- Two bedroom property: £11.93
Concessionary heating service charge
- One bedroom property: £1.08
- Two bedroom property: £1.37
Digital TV and communal aerial service charge: 91p.
How we set service charges
- The weekly charge is set at a rate that pays for the cost of the service provided.
- To work out how much you have to pay, we divide the total cost of providing the service by the number of tenants who receive that service.
- Housing benefit can help pay for some service charges.
Service charge increases
For 2019 to 2020 service charges increased by 2%.
There are four garage charges. See garages and parking for more information.
Charges for the support to older people service
- If you receive a Housing Support Adviser or emergency alarm service there are four charges. These depend on the level of support you receive.
- If you are entitled to housing benefit you will not need to pay a charge, as this will be covered by the supporting people grant. For more information on the charges please see supported housing for older people schemes.
Check your rent balance and other housing charges
You can sign up for a Bristol Account and see your rent balance, contents insurance, supporting people charges and other payments online at any time.