Guidance for enforcement authorities in applying the Tenant Fees Act 2019 (TFA 2019).
Our Introduction to the NTS Estate and Letting Agency Team gives basic background information on:
- the requirements of lettings legislation enforcement in England
- available resources to help enforcement
To access this information, join our KHub Group
The Tenant Fees Act 2019 and relevant legislation
We've created guidance for enforcement authorities in applying the Tenant Fees Act 2019 (TFA 2019), according to our statutory duty, found in section 25(2) of the Act.
- helps enforcement authorities to apply the Tenant Fees Act 2019
- gives information and advice about the operation of the relevant letting agency legislation
- flowcharts for enforcement processes
- template letters
- template Notices of Intent for breaches of the Tenant Fees Act 2019 and relevant letting agency legislation
- template Final Notices for breaches of the Tenant Fees Act 2019 and relevant letting agency legislation
All enforcement authorities must have regard to this guidance when exercising their functions under the Tenants Fee Act 2019.
The guidance can be found on our Knowledge Hub (KHub) group.
Tenant Fees Act 2019 eLearning enforcement course
We've developed an eLearning package that introduces the Tenant Fees Act 2019 and relevant letting agency legislation.
The package was:
- developed with Trading Standards South West (TSSW) eLearning
- funded by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC)
- is for enforcement officers in England
- gives information and skills with which to take effective enforcement action, when there's a breach of lettings legislation
- will benefit all enforcement officers who may undertake enforcement of the Tenant Fees Act 2019 and relevant letting agency legislation, including:
- trading standards
- environmental health
- housing officers
Join our KHub group for more information on:
- how to access the course
- the topics you'll cover
- the Continuous Personal and Professional Development (CPPD) hours available
Enforcement policy for the legislation
As the lead enforcement authority under the Tenant Fees Act 2019, Bristol City Council has adopted an pdf enforcement policy for financial penalties (796 KB) under the Act and relevant letting agency legislation.
We're publishing this policy as the national approach, to promote consistency among enforcement authorities.
Other enforcement authorities:
- may have different priorities
- may choose to deviate from this national approach
Before you adopt a different financial penalty notice policy you should:
- think about your local authority's constitution
- get advice from legal services