The Local plan includes policies for deciding planning applications in Bristol.
We're working on an update to the Bristol local plan.
For more information see our local plan review page.
The plan is made up of these documents:
- Core Strategy (pdf, 5.5MB) (opens new window) : sets out the overall approach for planning in Bristol
- Site Allocations and Development Management Policies Local Plan (pdf, 999KB) (opens new window) : has policies on sites that can be built on and sites that should be protected from development, as well as general policies to make sure development carried out in Bristol is good quality.
- Site allocations information (pdf, 8.8MB) (opens new window) : has more detail about sites that can be built on
- Site allocations policies map (pdf, 14MB) (opens new window) : shows the site allocations that apply to areas in Bristol
- Bristol Central Area Plan (pdf, 12.6MB) (opens new window) : has policies specific to development in the centre of Bristol
- Bristol Central Area policies map: (pdf, 9.1MB) (opens new window) shows the site allocations that apply to the centre of Bristol
- West of England Joint Waste Core Strategy (pdf, 4.1MB) (opens new window) : sets out where major waste facilities should be built
Interactive local plan policies map
You can look at an interactive Local Plan policies map. You can search by address or select locations on the map to see what policies apply to them.
Progressing Bristol’s Development
Progressing Bristol’s Development (pdf, 1MB) (opens new window) is a statement about planning in Bristol which explains the current approach to making planning decisions.
Neighbourhood development plans
Some areas have neighbourhood development plans, which include other policies for deciding planning applications.
Supplementary planning documents, practice notes and other planning guidance
For some types of development we produce additional documents to help guide planning decisions.