Submit a building notice

Submit a building notice

You can submit a building notice for small domestic works, new houses and extensions

You don’t get formal approval like you do with full plans, but we’ll acknowledge your building notice.

If you’re constructing a loft conversion, we would advise you to  make a full plans application. Further information is usually needed, for example structural calculations.

If you’ve already started work see make a regularisation application.

Check if you need building regulations approval.

How to submit your building notice

Submit online with iApply

iApply is the fastest way to make a submission as your notice is created in our database. 

You can drag and drop multiple plans and documents as one process.

Include the applicant's email address in your application, so we can send them important documents relating to their application.

Apply online with iApply

Before you can use iApply you must first create a user account.

iApply includes links to pay the fee via our website or by phone.

For advice see our short guide on using iApply (pdf, 895KB) (opens new window) .

Using iApply

What fee is payable

Check the fee charges (pdf, 154KB) (opens new window) (opens new window) to find out the cost of your application before applying.

Submitting your application

To submit your application you must select next at the top of the page once all sections have been completed. You must then select I accept and submit. Otherwise the application will remain as draft.

Other ways to submit your building notice

Online form

You can also submit a notice using our online form:

Building notice submission form

Postal submission

Fill in the full plans and building notice submission form (pdf, 137KB) (opens new window) (opens new window) or call us on 0117 922 3000 and we’ll fill in the form for you and take payment.

You’ll need to include

What happens next

We’ll acknowledge your building notice. 

We may ask for any plans of the work or calculations.

You won’t get a formal decision notice.

You’ll need to book a site inspection.

You can start work two days after your notice has been submitted.

Contact information

Building Regulations and Standards

City Hall

Bristol City Council, PO Box 3399

Bristol, BS1 9NE

Opening Hours

You'll need to make an appointment to visit us in person. Call us to book an appointment.

Appointments are at:
City Hall
College Green



Tel: 0117 922 3000