High risk buildings applications

From 1 October2023 any building control applications for buildings that meet the high risk building definition can only be submitted directly to the Building Safety Regulator Go to https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/2023/9780348242812/contents (opens new window).

For more information on this change visit Health and Safety Executive: Building Safety Regulator Go to https://www.hse.gov.uk/building-safety/regulator.htm (opens new window).

You can submit a building notice for small domestic works, new houses and extensions.

You don't get formal approval like you do with full plans, but we'll acknowledge your building notice.

If you're constructing a loft conversion, we would advise you to  make a full plans application. Further information is usually needed, for example structural calculations.

If you've already started work see make a regularisation application.

Check if you need building regulations approval.

How to submit your building notice

Submit online with Building Control Portal

Portal is the fastest way to make a submission as your notice is created in our database. 

You can drag and drop multiple plans and documents as one process.

Include the applicant's email address in your application, so we can send them important documents relating to their application.

Apply online with Building Control Portal

Before you can use Portal you must first create a user account.

For user advice see our pdf short guide on using Portal (164 KB) .

Using Portal

What fee is payable

Check the section on  pdf fee charges (183 KB)  to find out the cost of your application or put in a bespoke quote enquiry, before applying.

You can then enter this fee upon submitting your application in via the Portal.

The Portal provides options to:

  • select payment method as ‘Local Authority Website' to be redirected to our online payment system, or
  • choose to pay by phone

Your application is only valid once this fee is paid.

Submitting your application

To submit your application you must select next at the top of the page once all sections have been completed. You must then select I accept and submit. Otherwise the application will remain as draft.

Other ways to submit your building notice

Online form

You can also submit a notice using our online form:

Building notice submission form

Postal submission

Fill in the  pdf building notice form (314 KB)  or call us on 0117 922 3000 and we'll fill in the form for you and take payment.

You'll need to include

What happens next

We'll acknowledge your building notice. 

We may ask for any plans of the work or calculations.

You won't get a formal decision notice.

You'll need to book a site inspection.

You can start work two days after your notice has been submitted.

Contact information

Building Regulation and Standards

Bristol City Council
City Hall
PO Box 3399
Bristol BS1 9NE

Opening Hours

You'll need to make an appointment to visit us in person. Call us to book an appointment.

Appointments are at:
City Hall
College Green

Email: building.control@bristol.gov.uk
Tel: 0117 922 3000