High risk buildings applications

From 1 October2023 any building control applications for buildings that meet the high risk building definition can only be submitted directly to the Building Safety Regulator.

For more information on this change visit Health and Safety Executive: Building Safety Regulator.

If you've started or carried out works without building regulations consent, you can apply for a regularisation certificate.

Most building work needs building regulation approval.  Sometimes this is overlooked and the works continue without permission.

If you carry out work without a building regulations application, we can take enforcement action.  This could affect a future sale of your property.

How to apply for a regularisation certificate

Online with Planning Portal for Building Control 

Portal is the fastest way to apply for a certificate as your application is created in our database.

Include the applicant's email address in your application, so we can send them important documents relating to their application.

Apply online with Building Control Portal

Before you can use Portal you must first create a user account.

For user advice see our pdf short guide on using Portal (164 KB) .

Using Portal

What fee is payable

Check the section on  pdf fee charges (124 KB)  to find out the cost of your application or put in a bespoke quote enquiry before applying.

You can then enter this fee upon submitting your application in via the Portal.

The Portal provides options to:

  • select payment method as ‘Local Authority Website' to be redirected to our online payment system, or
  • choose to pay by phone

Your application is only valid once this fee is paid.

Submitting your application

To submit your application you must select next at the top of the page once all sections have been completed. You must then select I accept and submit. Otherwise the application will remain as draft.

Postal application

Fill in the pdf regularisation application form (261 KB)  and post to Building Regulations and Standards, City Hall, Bristol City Council, PO Box 3399, Bristol, BS1 9NE or email to building.control@bristol.gov.uk.

You'll need to include a fee which is detailed in the form.

What happens next

Once you've sent your application, we may ask you to open up and uncover work so we can inspect it, like:

  • dig a hole next to foundations
  • remove sections of wall or ceiling

You might need to make alterations.

We'll give you a regularisation completion certificate if the work meets the regulations.

What happens if you don't put the works right

We may take enforcement action against you if an application is not made or the works are not put right.

Privacy Notice

Read our privacy statement and our pdf Building Regulations and Standards privacy notice (118 KB)  to see what we do with your personal information.

Contact information

Building Regulation and Standards

Bristol City Council
City Hall
PO Box 3399
Bristol BS1 9NE

Opening Hours

You'll need to make an appointment to visit us in person. Call us to book an appointment.

Appointments are at:
City Hall
College Green

Email: building.control@bristol.gov.uk
Tel: 0117 922 3000