Make a regularisation application

If you’ve started or carried out works without building regulations consent, you can apply for a regularisation certificate

Most building work needs building regulation approval.  Sometimes this is overlooked and the works continue without permission.

If you carry out work without a building regulations application, we can take enforcement action.  This could affect a future sale of your property.

How to apply for a regularisation certificate

Online with iApply

iApply is the fastest way to apply for a certificate as your application is created in our database. 

Apply online with iApply

Before you can use iApply you must first create a user account.

For advice see our short guide on using iApply (pdf, 864k) (opens new window)

iApply includes links to pay the fee via our website or by phone.

Postal application

Fill in the regularisation application form (pdf, 55k) (opens new window) and post to Building Regulations and Standards, City Hall, Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176, Bristol, BS3 9FS or email to

You’ll need to include a fee which is detailed in the form.

What happens next

Once you’ve sent your application, we may ask you to open up and uncover work so we can inspect it, like:

  • dig a hole next to foundations
  • remove sections of wall or ceiling

You might need to make alterations.

We’ll give you a regularisation completion certificate if the work meets the regulations.

What happens if you don’t put the works right

We may take enforcement action against you if an application is not made or the works are not put right.

Contact information

Building Regulations and Standards

City Hall

Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176

Bristol, BS3 9FS

Opening Hours

You'll need to make an appointment to visit us in person. Call us to book an appointment.

Appointments are at:
City Hall
College Green



Tel: 0117 922 3000