Get an Energy Performance Certificate

Get an Energy Performance Certificate

What Energy Performance Certificates are and why you need one, the minimum energy efficiency standard for rental properties and where to find help and advice on energy efficiency.

Energy Performance Certificates

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rates the energy efficiency and environmental impact of your property. It is rated on a scale from A to G (where A is the most efficient and G the least efficient).

The certificate shows:

  • the property's current running costs for heating, hot water and lighting 
  • a list of recommended energy saving improvements

Get an EPC

You can get an EPC from an accredited domestic energy assessor.

Why you need an EPC

An EPC is required for all privately rented residential accommodation, except where individual tenants of a shared house have separate tenancy agreements. These properties do not require an EPC.

Minimum energy efficiency standard (MEES)

From 1 April 2020, you must make sure that your rental property has at least an EPC rating of E.

Read guidance on the minimum energy efficiency standard (MEES) on GOV.UK.

The property’s EPC includes recommendations for improving its energy efficiency.


If you have a property with an F or G rating, and you think it qualifies for an exemption from the minimum energy efficient standard, you must register the exemption on the National PRS Exemptions Register. You’ll need to:

  • tell them the reason for the exemption
  • provide evidence of why the exemption applies

Read guidance on PRS exemptions on GOV.UK.

Properties that don’t meet the minimum standard

We’ll investigate and may take action against landlords who rent properties that:

  • have an EPC rating of F or G
  • don’t have a registered exemption from meeting the minimum standard

We could issue a penalty of up to £5000.

Loans for meeting the minimum standard

We can offer financial help to you make improvements to your property to help it meet the minimum energy efficiency standard (MEES). The property must be rented to tenants.

We may be able to offer a landlord energy loan to help cover this cost up to a maximum £15,000. 

Interest will be charged at a fixed rate of 4%. The term can be over 1 to 5 years.

You’ll need to pay back any outstanding balance on the loan if you sell the property.

Email for more information.

Energy loan to top up the government Green Homes Grant Voucher scheme

This grant funding is available until 31 March 2021.

To get this loan you must:

  • be either an owner-occupier or a private landlord
  • have applied for and received the Green Homes Scheme voucher to undertake energy efficiency improvements to your home
  • have enough equity in your home to cover the loan
  • agree to pay back the outstanding balance if you move home

This loan can cover any financial shortfall between the amount of grant that you're awarded and the cost of the approved measures you want to install.

The maximum loan available is £15,000. There’s a fixed interest rate of 4%.

Apply by:    

Help and advice

The Energy Saving Trust provides:

  • impartial information on home energy efficiency
  • advice on grants and offers that may be available to help you with the costs of  improvements

Call 0800 512 012, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.

The Centre for Sustainable Energy is an independent charity that offers advice on:

  • understanding your Energy Performance Certificate
  • how to make the necessary changes for meeting the minimum energy efficiency standard


Contact information

Private Housing Team (100TS)

Bristol City Council

PO Box 3399

Bristol, BS1 9NE

Opening Hours


Contact details


Tel: 0117 352 5010