Private housing policies and performance
Private Housing Enforcement Policy
The Private Housing Enforcement Policy 2016 (pdf, 88k) (opens new window) sets out how the Private Housing Service will use its enforcement powers.
Private Housing Policy statement
- Private Housing Policy Statement 2011-2014 (pdf, 0.9 MB) (opens new window) (pdf, 972k) (opens new window)
- Private rented sector, how we seek to improve standards within the private rented sector in Bristol.
- Homeowners, the policy for providing support to homeowners.
- Empty Homes, the policy for the action we take in response to the empty homes that exist within Bristol.
Enforcement Policy for the Housing Health and Safety Hazard Rating System
Bristol City Council is required to use the Health and Housing Health and Safety Hazard Rating System (HHSRS) as the basis for tackling the worst housing conditions.
This document sets out how the we should use these enforcement powers to ensure safe and healthy environments in Bristol's private housing.
- Enforcement Policy for the Housing Health and Safety Hazard Rating System (pdf, 90 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 91k) (opens new window)
Regulatory Services Enforcement Policy
The primary function of local government regulatory activity is to protect the public, the environment and groups such as consumers, residents and tenants, workers and businesses.
The Enforcement Policy helps to promote efficient and effective approaches to regulatory inspection and enforcement, which improve regulatory outcomes without imposing unnecessary burdens on business and others subject to regulation.
Nearly all regulators, including local authorities, must have regard to the Regulators’ Code when carrying out their activities.
In the Private Housing Service we will ensure we follow the code when developing polices, operations procedures and when we undertake our regulatory activities.
- How the Private Housing Service complies with the Regulators' Code (pdf, 136 KB) (opens new window) (pdf, 137k) (opens new window)
We have published a set of clear service standards, setting out what those we regulate should expect from us.
We will publish details of our performance against our service standards, including feedback received from those we regulate and data relating to complaints about us and appeals against our decisions.
This will be published annually, and will be available on this page shortly.
Financial assistance for private landlords
We offer loans to private landlords to help with necessary improvements to meet licensing standards or to improve energy efficiency, in privately rented properties. See the Financial Assistance Schedule.