We're working on a new draft Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) on purpose-built student accommodation and shared living development.
The guidance will support existing and emerging Local Plan policies used to decide planning applications for this type of accommodation.
These policies encourage balanced communities in Bristol by:
- steering development towards suitable locations
- preventing harmful concentrations of this type of housing
These policies also expect development to:
- contribute to the mix of uses in an area
- make sure the resident's quality of life and the character of the area are not negatively affected
- achieve good standards of accommodation
The guidance gives more detail on the implementation of these policies.
From November 2021 to January 2022, we held a consultation on the pdf Purpose-built student accommodation and shared living: Draft Supplementary Planning Document (822 KB) .
Feedback from the consultation will help shape the content of the final guidance. Further consultation is planned for later in the year.