How to apply for a new year 7 secondary school place.
If your child was born between 1 September 2011 and 31 August 2012 you need to apply for a new year 7 secondary place. You must apply by 31 October 2022.
Apply online from 12 September 2022 for September 2023 admissions.
Apply for a new year 7 secondary place for Sept 2023 Go to https://parent.bristol.gov.uk/web/portal/pages/parents/admissions (opens new window)
You'll need to register for an account on our Parent Portal. admissions system.
Before you apply
- Check application timetable
- check your local authority area Go to https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council (opens new window)
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council apply to us for a Bristol year 7 secondary place
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council and you want to apply to a school in another local authority area you also need to apply to us.
- if your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan don't apply to School Admissions, see Apply for a key stage transfer school place for a child with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan on our Local Offer site or email the Special Educational Needs Team at firstname.lastname@example.org for how to apply
- read our information about Bristol secondary schools
- you must use your child's legal name on the application
For other year group school places make an In year application
If you're applying for a school place whilst outside the country you can't apply online. You must fill in and return pdf secondary application form (614 KB) . You can either fill in the form online and email it to email@example.com by 31 October 2022 or print and return the form by post.
Other ways to apply
Fill in and return pdf secondary application form (614 KB) .
Apply by 31 October 2022.
Offers of school places for on time applications will be sent on 1 March 2023.
The final date and time for making an application or changes to an existing application for the second round of allocations is midnight on the 11 April 2023.
The second round of allocations will be in May 2023.
Supplementary information forms
You may need to complete a supplementary information form (SIF) as well as the Bristol City Council application form for some schools.
Although the deadline for completing the Bristol City Council application form is 31 October 2022, some schools including grammar schools in neighbouring areas may be holding aptitude and attainment tests before this date. See your preferred school's admissions policy for more information.
You can express a preference for up to three schools in your order of preference from one to three. All your preferences are considered equally against the schools admission criteria regardless of whether you have put them as preference one, two or three.
If your child qualifies for a place at more than one of your three preferred schools your highest ranked preference school will be offered to you and lower ranked preferences withdrawn.
Your school offer and response
See year 7 secondary school place offer for how and when we'll offer your child a school place. You'll need to respond to this offer by 15 March 2023.