In year admission

About in year applications

In year applications are when you want to move your child from the primary, infant, junior or secondary school they go to now to a different one. This happens outside of the normal admissions process. You might want to make an in year application if you’ve recently moved.

You should speak to your current headteacher before deciding to change  your child's school, especially if your child is in secondary school where a move may disrupt their studies and exam results. 

Before you make an application we recommend you visit the school you want your child to got to and discuss a change of school with the Head Teacher. 

Read your preferred school(s) admissions policy on the school website for information about allocation of places, waiting lists and appeal procedure.

This will help you make an informed choice to see if the school is the most appropriate school for your child.

Apply to change  schools

The way that you apply depends on the school.

If the school processes their own in year applications you need to contact them directly.

For schools where we process in year admissions apply to us online or make a paper application.

Apply for an in year school place

Do check your email address is correct before submitting,  so all email correspondence is sent to the correct email account.

Other ways to apply

You can also apply by post, using our in year application form 

Requesting a school outside of Bristol

To make an in year application for a school outside of Bristol contact the local authority where the school is based.

When to apply

You can make an in year application at any time during the year, but it should be less than six school weeks before you want to move.  If your child is offered a school place, you should take it up as soon as possible. 

If you want your child to start at a different school at the beginning of the academic year in September, you can apply from June and during the school summer holidays.

If you're in the process of moving you'll need to provide documents to confirm your new address.

Find a school

Find the closest schools to your home address