Apply for a new reception primary school place for September 2018
If your child was born between 1 September 2013 and 31 August 2014. You must apply for a new reception school place.
Applications made after the closing date of midnight on 15 January 2018, will be processed after 18 April 2018.
If you're applying online you'll need to register for an account on our new online admissions system to apply for a school place.
Other ways to apply
Information about primary schools
Before you apply:
- check your local authority area
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council apply to us for a Bristol school reception place
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council and you want to apply to a school in another local authority area you also need to apply to us.
- read our guide for parents and carers on applying for a primary school place for the school year 2018 to 2019 (pdf, 26.9MB) (opens new window) for information about the different types of school and how to apply.
- find your nearest school - you'll need your postcode
- we recommend you visit your preferred schools.
- see how places were allocated for reception places in previous years
see the furthest distance table which gives the furthest distance that places were offered in previous years where schools were oversubscribed
For other year groups you should make an In Year application
Amendment to guide for parents and carers on applying for a primary school place for the school year 2018 to 2019
Supplementary information forms
You must complete a supplementary information form as well as the Bristol City Council application form for the schools below. Contact these schools for a supplementary information form:
- Cathedral Primary School
- Fishponds Church of England Academy
- Holy Cross Primary School
- School of Christ the King
- St Nicholas of Tolentine Catholic Primary School
- SS. Peter and Paul Catholic Primary School
- St. Bernadette Catholic Primary School
Change of address
The last date that we can accept a change of address is 24 January 2018. We'll need documentary evidence to confirm your new address.
How we tell you about an offer of a place
Offers for all on-time applications for a primary/infant school place will be sent by first class post on Monday 16 April 2018.
If you applied online we'll also send you an email on Monday 16 April 2018.
Offers for late applications for a primary/infant place will be sent by first class post in early June 2018.
- tell you about an offer by phone
- send responses to email addresses not provided prior to the offer date
- send via email if you applied using a paper form.
What to do when you have a school place offer
Parents and carers must reply to offers by Tuesday 1 May 2018. You should either:
- accept the place
- not accept the place and ask to go on a waiting list for a school that you applied for but did not get offered a place.
- not accept the place and request an appeal for your preferred school.
- not accept the place and request new school preferences.
- not accept the place and advise that the place is no longer required e.g your child will be attending an independent school.
If you ask to go on a waiting list for your preferred school your original place offer will be held for you.
Schools will keep a waiting list at least one term until 31 December 2018.
Timetable for co-ordinated primary admissions for academic year 2018/19
Bristol City Council (City Hall)
PO Box 3176
Bristol, BS3 9FS
Telephones: 9am - 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am - 4.30pm Friday.
Closed Wednesday until 12noon for staff training.
Tel: 0117 903 7694