Apply for a new reception primary school place for September 2019
School Admissions will be closed from:
- 24 December 2018 to 6 January 2019
If your child was born between 1 September 2014 and 31 August 2015. You must apply for a new reception school place.
If you're applying online you'll need to register for an account on our online admissions system when you make your application to apply for a school place.
If you made an online school application before September 2017 you'll need to register again before making an application. This is because of a change in online provider.
Other ways to apply
Fill in and return primary application form September 2019 (pdf, 708KB) (opens new window) .
The final date for making an on time application is 15 January 2019.
The final date to make changes to an application made by 15 January 2019 is 25 January 2019.
Changes to an application include:
- Changing the order of school preferences
- Confirming a change of address
- Confirming a sibling link at your preferred school(s)
Applications or changes to current applications made after 15 January 2019 will be processed after the second round of allocations has been completed.
The second round of allocations will take place in June 2019.
Please respond in writing by post or email at firstname.lastname@example.org to offers made in the second round of allocations. Responses to offers cannot be made online.
Information about primary schools
Before you apply:
- check your local authority area
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council apply to us for a Bristol school reception place
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council and you want to apply to a school in another local authority area you also need to apply to us.
- read our guide for parents and carers on applying for a primary school place for the school year 2019/2020 (pdf, 23.2MB) (opens new window) for information about the different types of school and how to apply.
- find your nearest primary school - you'll need your postcode
- we recommend you visit your preferred schools.
- see how places were allocated for reception places in previous years
see the furthest distance table (pdf, 268KB) (opens new window) which gives the furthest distance that places were offered in previous years where schools were oversubscribed
For other year groups you should make an In Year application
Supplementary information forms
You must complete a supplementary information form as well as the Bristol City Council application form for the schools below. Contact these schools for a supplementary information form:
- The Dolphin School, supplementary form required when applying under the criterion children of staff
- Fairlawn Academy, supplementary form required when applying under the criterion children of staff
- Fishponds Church of England Academy
- Four Acres Academy, when applying under the criterion exceptional social and medical needs
- Holy Cross Primary School
- Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Primary School
- School of Christ the King
- St. Nicholas of Tolentine Catholic Primary School
- SS. Peter and Paul Catholic Primary School
- St. Bernadette Catholic Primary School
- St. Bernard's Catholic Primary School
- St. Bonaventure's Catholic Primary School
- St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School
- St. Patrick's Catholic Primary School
- St Teresa's Catholic Primary School
How we tell you about an offer of a place
All on-time applications for a primary/infant school place, if you applied by:
- post then we'll send you an offer by first class post on 16 April 2019
- email and opted to be contacted by email, then we'll send you an email on 16 April 2019
- online portal, you will receive a notification message on your portal account on 16 April 2019
Offers for late applications for a primary/infant place will be sent to you in early June 2019.
For security reasons we can't:
- tell you about an offer by phone
- send responses to email addresses not provided prior to the offer date
- send via email if you applied using a paper form
What to do when you have a school place offer
Parents and carers must reply within a week of receiving an offer.
You should either:
- accept the place by logging in to the admissions system and placing a tick in the ‘accept’ box, before clicking send response.
- not accept the place and ask to go on a waiting list for a school that you applied for but did not get offered a place.
- not accept the place and request an appeal for your preferred school.
- not accept the place and request new school preferences.
- not accept the place and advise us that the place is no longer required e.g your child will be attending an independent school.
If you ask to go on a waiting list for your preferred school your original place offer will be held for you.
Schools will keep a waiting list at least one term until 31 December 2019.
Timetable for co-ordinated primary admissions for academic year 2018/19
Bristol City Council (City Hall)
PO Box 3176
Bristol, BS3 9FS
Telephones: 9am - 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am - 4.30pm Friday.
Closed Wednesday until 12noon for staff training.
Tel: 0117 903 7694