Apply for a new reception primary school place for children born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013.
Apply for a new reception primary place after the 15 January 2017 close date.
You can still apply using our downloadable form. You can't apply online.
Some schools also require a supplementary application form (see below).
Your application will be considered as a late application and will be processed after 16 April 2017.
Second round of allocations
The closing date for the second round of allocations is 5pm on Friday 19 May 2017. If you are in the process of moving, we must receive confirmation of your new address by Friday 19 May 2017.
Information about primary schools
Before you apply:
- check your local authority area
- check if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council apply to us for a Bristol school reception place
- check if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council and you want to apply to a school in another local authority area you also need to apply to us.
- read our guide for parents and carers on applying for a primary school place for the school year 2017 to 2018 for information about the different types of school and how to apply
- find your nearest school - you'll need your postcode
- we recommend you visit your preferred schools.
- see how places were allocated for reception places in previous years
see the furthest distance table which gives the furthest distance that places were offered in previous years where schools were oversubscribed
For other year groups you should make an In Year application
Supplementary information forms
You must complete a supplementary information form as well as the Bristol City Council application form for:
- Cathedral Primary School online form
- Fishponds religious supplementary form (pdf, 180k) (opens new window)
- School of Christ the King supplementary form (pdf, 94k) (opens new window)
- SS. Peter and Paul supplementary form (pdf, 138k) (opens new window)
- St. Bernadette Primary supplementary form (pdf, 230k) (opens new window)
Correction to the guide
This is a correction to information on page 96 of the ‘guide for parents and carers’ regarding number of appeals lodged for SS Peter and Paul RC VA Primary School
Number of appeals lodged: 0
Number of appeals heard: 0
Number of appeals upheld: 0
See the links below for admission policies for the following schools for 2017/18.The below replaces information published in the booklet 'guide for parents and carers'.
- Holy Cross Catholic Primary School (pdf, 145k) (opens new window)
- School of Christ the King Catholic Primary School (pdf, 1.4MB) (opens new window)
- St Bernadette Primary School (pdf, 1.5MB) (opens new window)
Primary schools A to Z guides
- Primary schools A to D (pdf, 627k) (opens new window)
- Primary schools E to H (pdf, 482k) (opens new window)
- Primary schools I to R (pdf, 472k) (opens new window)
- Primary schools S to U (pdf, 734k) (opens new window)
- Primary schools V to W (pdf, 239k)
How we tell you about an offer of a place
Offers for all on-time applications for a primary/infant school place were sent by first class post on Tuesday 18 April 2017.
If you applied online you will have also been sent an email on Tuesday 18 April 2017.
Offers for late applications for a primary/infant place will be sent by first class post in early June 2017.
- tell you about an offer by phone
- send responses to email addresses not provided prior to the offer date
- send via email if you applied using a paper form.
What to do when you have a school place offer
Parents and carers must reply to offers by 02 May 2017. You should either:
- accept the place
- not accept the place and ask to go on a waiting list for a school that you applied for but did not get offered a place.
- not accept the place and request an appeal for your preferred school.
- not accept the place and request new school preferences.
- not accept the place and advise that the place is no longer required e.g your child will be attending an independent school.
If you ask to go on a waiting list for your preferred school your original place offer will be held for you.
You need to post back the reply form enclosed with your offer to request to go on a waiting list.
Schools keep a waiting list at least one term until 31 December 2017.
Waiting list for September 2017 reception year
To find out your waiting list position for the following schools, contact the school directly:
- St Bernadette Catholic Primary
- SS Peter and Paul Catholic Primary
- Cathedral Primary School
- St Bernards's Catholic Primary
- St Teresa's Catholic Primary
- School of Christ The King
- St Joseph's Catholic Primary
- Steiner Academy Bristol
- Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Primary
- Redfield Educate Together Academy
- St Patrick's Catholic Primary
To find out your waiting list position for all other schools in Bristol call 0117 903 7694 after 17 May 2017.
To find out your waiting list position for schools outside of Bristol, contact the council where the school is based.
For the schools below, return your written grounds of appeal by 23 May 2017 to this address:
School Admissions (Parkview Office Campus)
Bristol City Council
PO Box 3176
Air Balloon Hill Primary
Ashley Down Primary
Bishop Road Primary
Bridge Farm Primary
Broomhill Infant School
Brunel Field Primary School
Fair Furlong Primary
Filton Avenue Primary School
Horfield CofE VC Primary
Ilminster Avenue E-Act Academy
Knowle Park Primary
Little Mead Primary Academy
Oasis Academy New Oak
School of Christ the King
Sea Mills Primary
Sefton Park Infants
Southville Primary School
St Anne's Infants
St Barnabas CE Primary School
St Johns CofE VC Primary
St Mary Redcliffe C of E VC Primary
St Peter's Church of England VC Primary
St Ursula's E-Act Academy
St. Werburgh’s Primary
Stoke Bishop Church of England Primary
Victoria Park Primary
West Town Lane Academy
Westbury Park Primary
Westbury-on-Trym C of E Academy
For all other schools in Bristol, return your written grounds of appeal to the school by 23 May 2017.
For schools outside Bristol, please contact the Local Authority where the school is situated for guidance.
Allocation statements and primary school appeal information
These are how places were allocated for schools in Bristol, BANES and South Gloucestershire that are full for admission to reception year group in September 2017.
Bristol primary schools
Bristol primary schools
Bristol primary school appeal documents
BANES primary schools
BANES primary school appeal documents
South Gloucestershire primary schools
South Gloucestershire primary schools appeals documents
Timetable for co-ordinated primary admissions for academic year 2017/18
Bristol City Council (Parkview)
PO Box 3176
Bristol, BS3 9FS
Telephones: 9am - 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am - 4.30pm Friday.
Closed Wednesday until 12noon for staff training.
Tel: 0117 903 7694