Apply for a new year 7 secondary school place for September 2018.
If your child was born between 1 September 2006 and 31 August 2007 you must apply for a new year 7 secondary school entry place.
Applications made after the closing date of midnight on 31 October 2017, will be processed after 1 March 2018.
If you're applying online you'll need to register for an account on our new online admissions system to apply for a school place.
Other ways to apply
Fill in and return secondary application form September 2018 (pdf, 691k) (opens new window) .
Information about secondary schools
Before you apply:
- check your local authority area
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council apply to us for a Bristol school place
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council and you want to apply to a school in another local authority area you also need to apply to us.
- read the guide for parents and carers on applying for a secondary school place for the school year 2018/19 (pdf, 14.2MB) (opens new window) for information on the different types of school and how to apply.
- find your nearest schools - you'll need your postcode.
- we recommend you visit your preferred schools, see list of open days and evenings (pdf, 210k) (opens new window) .
- see how places were allocated for secondary schools in previous years.
- For Bristol residents to find out in which school’s area your home falls
For all other year groups make an In Year Application
Supplementary information forms
You must complete a supplementary information form as well as the Bristol City Council application form for some schools. Contact these schools for their supplementary information form :
- Colston’s Girls’ School
- Fairfield High School, supplementary form required when applying under the criterion children of staff
- St. Bede’s Catholic School
- St. Bernadette Catholic Secondary School
- St. Mary Redcliffe & Temple CE School
Change of address
The last date that we can accept a change of address is Friday 17 November 2017. We'll need documentary evidence to confirm your new address.
How we tell you about an offer of a place
Offers for all on-time applications for a secondary school place will be sent by first class post on Thursday 1 March 2018. If you applied online we'll also send you an email on Thursday 1 March 2018.
Offers for late applications for a year 7 secondary school place will be sent by first class post in early June 2018.
For security reasons we can't:
- tell you about an offer by phone
- send responses to email addresses not provided prior to the offer date
- send via email if you applied using a paper form.
What to do when you have a school place offer
Parents and carers must reply to offers by Thursday 15 March 2018. You should either:
- accept the place
- not accept the place and ask to go on a waiting list for a school that you applied for but did not get offered a place.
- not accept the place and request an appeal for your preferred school.
- not accept the place and request new school preferences.
- not accept the place and advise us that the place is no longer required e.g your child will be attending an independent school.
If you ask to go on a waiting list for your preferred school your original place offer will be held for you.
Schools will keep a waiting list at least one term until 31 December 2018.