Apply for a new year 7 secondary school place for September 2018.
If your child was born between 1 September 2006 and 31 August 2007 you must apply for a new year 7 secondary school entry place.
Applications made after the closing date of midnight on 31 October 2017, will be processed after 1 March 2018.
If you're applying online you'll need to register for an account on our new online admissions system to apply for a school place.
Other ways to apply
Fill in and return secondary application form September 2018 (pdf, 790k) (opens new window) .
Additional year 7 school places for September 2018
Cotham School will admit an additional 27 pupils to year 7 in September 2018 increasing the planned admission number (PAN) from 216 to 243 pupils.
Information about secondary schools
Before you apply:
- check your local authority area
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council apply to us for a Bristol school place
- if you live in Bristol and pay your council tax to Bristol City Council and you want to apply to a school in another local authority area you also need to apply to us.
- read the guide for parents and carers on applying for a secondary school place for the school year 2018/19 (pdf, 14.2MB) (opens new window) for information on the different types of school and how to apply.
- find your nearest schools - you'll need your postcode.
- we recommend you visit your preferred schools
- see how places were allocated for secondary schools in previous years.
- For Bristol residents to find out in which school’s area your home falls
For all other year groups make an In Year Application
Amendment to guide for parents and carers on applying for a secondary school place for the school year 2018 to 2019
Supplementary information forms
You must complete a supplementary information form as well as the Bristol City Council application form for some schools. Contact these schools for their supplementary information form :
- Colston’s Girls’ School
- Fairfield High School, supplementary form required when applying under the criterion children of staff
- St. Bede’s Catholic School
- St. Bernadette Catholic Secondary School
- St. Mary Redcliffe & Temple CE School
Change of address
The last date that we can accept a change of address is Friday 17 November 2017. We'll need documentary evidence to confirm your new address.
How we tell you about an offer of a place
Offers for all on-time applications for a secondary school place will be sent by first class post on Thursday 1 March 2018. If you applied online we'll also send you an email on Thursday 1 March 2018.
Offers for late applications for a year 7 secondary school place will be sent by first class post in early June 2018.
For security reasons we can't:
- tell you about an offer by phone
- send responses to email addresses not provided prior to the offer date
- send via email if you applied using a paper form.
What to do when you have a school place offer
Parents and carers must reply to offers by Thursday 15 March 2018. You should either:
- accept the place
- not accept the place and ask to go on a waiting list for a school that you applied for but did not get offered a place.
- not accept the place and request an appeal for your preferred school.
- not accept the place and request new school preferences.
- not accept the place and advise us that the place is no longer required e.g your child will be attending an independent school.
If you ask to go on a waiting list for your preferred school your original place offer will be held for you.
Schools will keep a waiting list at least one term until 31 December 2018.