Applications can no longer be made on-line.
The submission date for applications for transfer to Year 7 in September 2017 closed on 31 October 2016.
Complete a paper application form and return it to School Admissions. Your application will be processed after 1 March 2017.
You can now apply for a Year 7 secondary school place for September 2017.
You should only apply for a Year 7 place for September 2017 to Bristol City Council if you live in Bristol and pay your Council Tax to Bristol City Council.
If you want to transfer to a school outside your local authority you should still apply to the local authority that you live in.
You can apply for any state school in England both in and outside your local area.
You can check your local authority on check your local council.
If your child was born between 1 September 2005 and 31 August 2006 you must apply for a new Year 7 secondary school place. Applications must be received by us by 31 October 2016.
Online applications are now closed.
You can still apply by completing our secondary application form (pdf, 347k) (opens new window) .
Return the form to School Admissions.
For other year groups you should make an In Year application
Find out about studio schools and university technical colleges, which offer practical and academic learning for 14 to 19 year olds.
Change of address and Transfer from Primary to Secondary Education in September 2017If you've recently moved address, or are in the process of moving then visit our school admissions page for advice on contacting schools.
Information about secondary schools
Before applying for a new Year 7 secondary school place you should read the following information:
- Guide for Parents and Carers on applying for a Secondary school place for the school year 2017/18 (pdf, 4.5MB) (opens new window) provides essential information on the different types of school and how to apply.
- On page 47 of the Guide for Parents and Carers, the heading ‘Secondary Phase: Fair Banding’ should now be ‘Arrangements For Admission To Secondary Phase’.
- You can enter your postcode into our useful application to find your nearest schools
- You can make arrangements to visit schools. Their set open days are in September and early October.
- See our A to Z list of Bristol secondary schools (pdf, 1.9MB) (opens new window)
If you're applying to any of the schools below you should complete their supplementary information form:
Colston’s Girls’ School supplementary form
St. Bede’s Catholic School supplementary form (pdf, 371k) (opens new window)
St. Bernadette Catholic Secondary School supplementary form (pdf, 174k) (opens new window)
St. Mary Redcliffe & Temple CE School supplementary form (pdf, 210k) (opens new window)
This is in addition to the completion of a Common Application Form (CAF) which all applicants must complete.
Timetable for co-ordinated secondary admissions for academic year 2017/2018
For the timetable for co-ordinated secondary admissions for academic year 2017/2018 please see the document ‘Co-ordinated Secondary Scheme Scheme 2017/18’ in the Downloadable Files section of the Admission Arrangements page on this website.