Secondary school new year 7 admissions appeals
What you can appeal and how to make an appeal
Right to appeal
You've a right to appeal to an independent appeal panel against the decision to refuse your child a place at your preferred school. You must appeal by 4 May 2018. Appeals are heard from June onwards.
How to appeal
Complete the appeals form (pdf, 82k) (opens new window) and return your written grounds of appeal to School Admissions by 4 May 2018 for the following schools:
- Bedminster Down School
- Bristol Brunel Academy
- Bristol Free School
- Bristol Metropolitan Academy
- Cotham School
- Fairfield High School
- Oasis Academy John Williams
- Redland Green School
For all other schools in Bristol, return your written grounds of appeal to the school.
For schools outside Bristol, contact the local authority where the school is situated for guidance.
You'll receive at least 10 school days notice of the date, time and place of the appeal hearing. You're encouraged to come and speak at the appeal hearing.
What the appeal panel takes into account
The independent appeal panel take into account the:
- preference you expressed
- reasons for your school preference
- admission authority’s published admission arrangements
- admission authority’s reasons for refusing a place
The independent appeal panel is not bound by the admission authority’s published criteria and has the power to make a place available even if the year group is full. The appeal panel will be able to take your reasons for wanting your child to attend the school or academy into account.
If an appeal is upheld
The decision of the independent appeal panel is binding on the admission authority. This means your child will be admitted to the school, even if the year group is full. The decision of independent appeal panel can only be overturned by the courts.
If an appeal is dismissed
When an appeal is dismissed there is no automatic right to a second appeal. A second appeal can only be granted if a significant change of circumstances has occurred since the original appeal was heard. A significant change in circumstances would include:
- where a sibling of statutory school age has been offered a place or has started at the preferred school and this information was not known at the time of the original hearing
- change of address, now living significantly closer to the preferred school, or now reside within the area of first priority for the school
- where new evidence which could not have been introduced at the time of the original appeal has become available and supported by a letter from a doctor, psychologist or social worker
Appeal guidance notes and appeal proforma letters are available with the allocation statement for the school on the allocation statements from previous years.
Bristol City Council (City Hall)
PO Box 3176
Bristol, BS3 9FS
Telephones: 9am - 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am - 4.30pm Friday.
Closed Wednesday until 12noon for staff training.
Tel: 0117 903 7694