Mental health services
Here is the important information that you need to know to get a mental health service. There are also a small number of links to mainly national organisations, as well as to some useful local publications.
Who to contact
GP or doctor
Your GP or doctor is the first person to contact.
If you don't have a doctor you can find GP services on the NHS Choices website or call 0845 46 47.
Adult care services
You can also contact adult care services for help and advice. Telephone 0117 922 2700.
In an emergency
Telephone 0117 942 9224 or outside office hours 01454 61 5165.
Groups offering support and advice
Go to Well Aware and search "mental wellbeing".
Mental health web links
- Bristol Mental Health - information about mental health services in Bristol
- Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health NHS Trust - manages mental health services across the south west including in Bristol
- Bristol Mind
- Off the Record - provide free and confidential counselling for young people aged 11 to 25 years in Bristol.
- Bristol Active Life Project - activity sessions for people who have experienced long-term mental health difficulties
- NHS/Bristol CCG Mental health and wellbeing
- Alzheimer's Society
- Depression Alliance
- Lift Pyschology in Bristol and South Gloucestershire
- Mind - the mental health charity
- Rethink - "helping people with severe mental illness"
- SANE - improving the lives of people with mental illness
- Second Step Housing Association
- Womankind - Bristol Women's therapy centre
- Changes Bristol - support groups for people suffering mental distress
- No Health Without Mental Health – Government strategy 2011
- Bristol's vision for mental health services (pdf)
- Bristol Dementia Strategy (pdf)