Resources and training for foster carers available from The HOPE Virtual School.
Training and how to access it
If you’re a carer you can get training to support your foster child to do better at school.
We can provide training on:
- Personal Education Plans (PEPs)
- promoting reading
- encouraging attendance
- tests and exams
All our training is in partnership with our fostering teams’ training leaders.
If you’re a Bristol City Council carer you can access a course by talking to your supervising social worker or contacting The HOPE.
These are some examples of The HOPE’s training for carers.
Is your child being bullied?
Bullying is a common problem for children and young people, including those in care. pdf Is your child being bullied? (2.25 MB) explains:
- different forms of bullying
- some reasons why children are bullied
- what young people say about it
- things you can do to help tackle bullying
Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Graduated approach checklist
The pdf SEND Graduated approach checklist (2.63 MB) has information about how the SEND Code of Practice recommends using a cycle of ‘assess, plan, do, review’ to support young people with SEND in education.
The checklist explains:
- the use of the ‘assess, plan, do, review’ cycle mentioned in the Code of Practice
- the graduated response that schools may make when they assess a young person’s SEND