You need to tell us if you move out of your premises or move into new premises. You need to tell us and the Valuation Office Agency if you change something about your business or building. It could mean your business rates change.

Moving in or out

You need to tell us if you're moving to a new building or out of a previous one.

If your property has become empty

You may be able to stop paying business rates for a period if a property you own or are leasing is now empty. 

Apply for a discount on an empty property

Report any other changes

If any other things change, contact the Valuation Office Agency Go to (opens new window) online or phone them on 03000 501 501 to let them know.

Changes that you need to tell them about include:

  • changing the structure of your premises
  • changing how you use your premises
  • changing the nature of your business
  • your premises cant be used, for example because of flooding
  • you sublet part of your property

Depending on what the change is, your rates could go down or up. If they go up but you keep paying the old amount, you could get a big backdated bill later on.

Find out about business rates discounts and exemptions.