Pay your rent
- There is a 1.8% charge on all credit card payments.
- You'll need your 14 digit reference number. You'll find this on your account statement, rent increase letter, invoice or arrears letter.
- You can also check your rent balance.
How to set up a direct debit
- Complete a direct debit form (pdf, 35 KB) (opens new window) and send it to the address on the form.
- Call in to any Citizen Service Point with your bank, building society or credit union account details and complete a form whilst you wait.
How to work out your monthly payments
- You must pay in advance so that your account does not go into arrears.
- Payments are made automatically from your account on a monthly basis.
- You have a choice of two payment dates, either the 5 or 25 of each month.
- Your monthly payment is calculated by working out how much you must pay to have a clear rent account by the end of the financial year (March 31), divided by the number of monthly payment opportunities left in the year. If you cannot afford these payments you may still be able to set up a direct debit to clear your account over a longer period. Please contact the Rent Management Service to make an arrangement to pay.
- Your payments are covered by the direct debit guarantee (pdf, 15 KB) (opens new window) .
Payments are made directly from your bank, building society or credit union account. You control the standing order, how much you want to pay and when.
How to set up a standing order
You must do this with your bank, building society or credit union.
- Complete a standing order form. (pdf, 210 KB) (opens new window) You'll need your 14 digit rent account reference number. You can find this on your rent statement or any letters from us.
- Send it directly to your bank, building society or credit union, not to Bristol City Council. You can also use the information on the form to set up a standing order online.
- If you set up a standing order, you must let the Rent Management Service know the start date and the amount of your standing order.
- You must pay in advance so that your account does not go in to arrears. If your account is in arrears, please contact the Rent Management Service or visit any Citizen Service Point to agree the amount you will pay.
How to make a change to your standing order
- If the amount you have to pay changes, you must contact your bank, building society or credit union immediately to amend your standing order.
There is a 1.8% charge on all credit card payments. This payment service provides you with the balance due on your account. Please see using the internet or automated payment service (pdf, 24 KB) (opens new window) .
24-hour payment line 0870 707 7776.
Calls cost 2p per minute plus your phone company's access charge.
You may be entitled to make a benefits claim for housing benefit to help pay some or all of your rent.
Rent payment breaks
- During the year, there are four weeks where we don't charge rent. Two over the August bank holiday and two over the Christmas and New Year period.
- You don't need to pay during these weeks, unless you're in arrears, when you must continue to make payments. For more information please contact the Rent Management Service.
We send out rent account statements annually. If you want one at any other time please visit any Citizen Service Point or contact the Rent Management Service using the contact details on this page.
Mobile phone app
If you have an Apple or Android smartphone you can pay your rent or services charges using an app from Allpay. You can download the app from the:
Post Office and PayPoint
You can make a payment at any Post Office and PayPoint outlet using your housing payment swipe card. You can find a list of them on the Allpay website. There is no charge to use this service. Please allow four working days for payments to reach your account.
There are two housing payment swipe cards that you can use to pay this way:
- Current tenants.
- Former council tenants.
See housing payment swipe card for more information.
You can pay your rent or other housing payment by cash, cheque or debit or credit card at any Citizen Service Point. There is a 1.8% charge on all credit card payments.
You can make a payment from your own online internet banking service. You'll need:
- your 14 digit rent account reference number (shown on rent statements or letters)
- our sort code of 560005 and account number of 41322282
You can make a payment from your mobile phone. You must register on the Allpayments.text website. You'll need to:
- Provide your debit or credit card and swipe card details.
- Select a Text Code for each payment card.
- Automatically receive a text password for each debit or credit card you wish to use.
- These are community based and managed financial organisations. They offer accounts such as savings, bill payments, budgeting and loands.
- They can help with setting up an account to pay your rent automatically.
- Contact Bristol Credit Union on 0117 954 3585 or visit the Bristol Credit Union website for more information.