How to apply for a licence to sell fireworks.
To sell fireworks you'll need to apply for a licence and have your premises inspected.
Before applying for a licence to sell fireworks you must read the guidance documents below:
- Explosives Regulations 2014: Guidance on Regulations: Fireworks in retail premises (pdf, 706k) (opens new window)
- Explosives Regulations 2014: Security provisions (pdf, 910k) (opens new window)
- Storing and selling fireworks safely: Advice for anyone selling fireworks (pdf, 175k) (opens new window)
If you want to sell other pyrotechnic devices then read the storing and selling pyrotechnic articles safely document (pdf, 68k) (opens new window) .
There are two types of licences.
For the storage of up to:
- 250kg net explosive quantity (NEQ) of explosives
- 500kg net explosive quantity (NEQ) of explosives
The difference between these is the separation distances required between the location of the store and other buildings and roads.
Each of these licences will allow the sale of fireworks during fireworks season.
The fireworks season is:
- 15 October to 10 November
- 26 December to 31 December
- three days before, and on the day of , the Chinese New Year
- three days before, and on the day of , Diwali
If you want to sell fireworks all year round you’ll also need to buy an extra licence for £500.
Cost of firework licences
Firework licence: 250kg NEQ
The costs of a new fireworks licence for storing up to 250kg NEQ of explosives are:
- one year: £109
- two years: £141
- three years : £173
- four years : £206
- five years: £238
Renew a 250kg NEQ licence
If you want to renew a 250kg NEQ fireworks licence the costs are:
- one year: £54
- two year: £86
- three year: £120
- four years: £152
- five years: £185
Firework licence: 500kg NEQ
The costs of a new fireworks licence for storing up to 500kg NEQ of explosives are:
- one year: £185
- two year: £243
- three year £304
- four year: £374
- five year: £423
Renew a 500kg NEQ licence
The costs for a renewing a fireworks licence for storing up to 500kg NEQ of explosives are:
- one year: £86
- two year: £147
- three year: £206
- four year: £266
- five year: £326
Apply for a fireworks licence
You should contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Include in your email the nature and location of your business and a contact phone number.
We’ll call you back to discuss the safety rules and the premises you have for storing fireworks.
If you meet the safety rules we’ll email you the application form and payment details.
Cheques should be made payable to Bristol City Council.
Once we have the payment and application form we’ll arrange an inspection of the proposed storage premises.