The Licensing Committee comprises 15 Members from all three political groups. Sub-committees comprising three members sit every Wednesday to consider applications for licences under the Licensing Act 2003.
This committee is established to perform the functions of the Licensing Authority with a view to promoting the four licensing objectives:
- the prevention of crime and disorder
- public safety
- the prevention of public nuisance
- the protection of children from harm
and is directly responsible for:
- the retail sale of alcohol, including the licensing of individuals, premises, wholesale of alcohol to members of the public and purchased via the internet or mail order
- the supply of alcohol to members of registered clubs
- the provisions of regulated entertainment in the presence of an audience - including film exhibitions, performances of plays, indoor sporting events, boxing or wrestling events, live music performances, playing of recorded music, dance performances, provision of facilities for making music or provision of dance facilities
- the licence of activities on a temporary basis
- the provision of late night refreshments - supply of hot food or drink from premises from 11pm to 5am the following day
The meetings are an opportunity for councillors to make their decisions based on the points of view of all relevant parties.
Where can I look at committee papers?
Details of applications and matters going to committee are available one week before each meeting. Please use our Committee Meeting Finder.
How can I make a representation to the Licensing Committee?
Residents who are affected by the business of the committee may present a petition or submit a statement at committee and sub-committee meetings. Petitions and statements presented to the sub-committees can be received only in respect of hearings already decided and licence applications not subject to a hearing. Petitions and statements in respect of licence applications are subject to restrictions as to who may make representations and the timescale within which they must be made. Further information on such representations is available from the Licensing Office. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you wish to make a statement or submit a petition to the Full Licensing Committee you should notify the Democratic Support Officer by 12 noon on the day before the meeting.