Funding for local projects

Funding for local projects

How funding is given to local areas from the Community Infrastructure Levy and Section 106 agreements

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and the Section 106 (S106) agreements

As part of a planning obligation, a developer often has to give money to the council to pay for improvements in the area that they’re developing in. This is usually through a charge called the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) but is sometimes through another type of charge called a Section 106 agreement.

A lot of the money that’s raised is used to fund city-wide projects improving things like roads and schools.  

15% of CIL funds and 33% of some S106 funds are made available for local decision making by councillors. Local councillors allocate the funds to support local priority projects, such as improving community centres or parks.

Amount of available funds

The amount of available funds depends on the number of new developments that are taking place at any time. 

You can see how planning obligations money is spent on the:

Who decides where the money gets spent

Councillors used to make decisions about these local funds as part of Neighbourhood Partnerships.

Following the closure of the Neighbourhood Partnership programme the council has set up six area committees.

The committees will now decide on how and where the money is spent.

How the area committees decide what to do with the funding 

The six area committees will decide on their priorities once a year. The decisions will be made in three stages.

Stage 1

Local councillors and residents will go to a public meeting to talk about any ideas that have been put forward for the funding. Ideas can be put forward by anyone, but it’s best to let your local councillor know so they can present your idea at the meeting.

Councillors will decide at the area committee meeting which of the ideas should go to Stage 2. The decision will depend on the amount of available funds and resources  to do the work.

Stage 2

If a project is progressed to stage 2 it’ll be developed into a full application. 

A full application will have information such as:

  • how much the project will cost
  • how long the work will take
  • if the project meets the CIL and S106 criteria , for example, some S106 money is only allowed to be spent on projects in parks

Area committee members will decide if they should give CIL and S106 funds to a project.

Stage 3

Funds will be given to projects after all the paperwork has been done. 

An example form to show you what the process involves:

Note: Don't complete and return the project proposal form. It's just an example.

How you can get involved

Talk to your local ward councillor to get involved, find out more or submit an idea. 

2018 to 2019 highways scheme proposals

Potential highway improvements in 2018 to 2019 that could be delivered if CiL funding was allocated: