What an Area Committee is, funding available, process, timetable and how to submit an outline proposal
What an Area Committee is
Bristol has 6 area committees.
Area committees are made up of councillors from between 4 to 7 combined Bristol wards.
Area Committees are responsible for deciding how Community Infrastructure levy (CIL) and Section 106 (S106) money gets spent.
CIL and S106 monies are raised from development work and allocated to area committees to award to community improvement projects.
How much Area Committee funding is available
Our monthly reports show how much money is available for each area committee to spend, what funds have been committed and what each S106 purpose is:
Area Committee Funding Process
The annual Area Committee funding process is divided into 3 stages:
Stage 1: Identifying local priority projects, shortlisting of stage 1 outline proposals and councillor invitations to submit full stage 2 proposals
Stage 2: Full stage 2 project proposals submitted, and funding decisions made
Stage 3: Funding decisions communicated and funding awarded
Area Committee funding process 2023 2024
Outline Area Committee funding process
Stage 1: April to October 2023
- Neighbourhood priorities identified, April to May 2023
- Stage 1 outline proposals submitted, by end of 26 May 2023
- Viability discussions, June and July 2023
- Shortlisting of outline proposals, early August to September 2023
- Stage 1 proposals prioritised and shortlisted by 18 September
- 2023 Invitations to submit full stage 2 proposals, by end of October 2023
Stage 2 Mid October 2023 to February 2024
- Full stage 2 project proposals submitted in December and early January, deadlines by Area Committee will be communicated to applicants
- Technical assessment of project proposals
- Funding decisions made by councillors at Area Committee meetings in February 2024
- Funding decisions communicated by end February 2024
Stage 3 March to April 2024
- Funding agreements drawn up, March 2024
- Funds transferred and community projects begin delivery, April 2024
Council departments, such as Parks and Transport, typically work to delivery schedules for Area Committee-funded projects which can be between 1 and 3 years from the point of funding approval.
Timetable 2023 to 2024
How to submit a Stage 1 outline proposal
Stage 1 is now closed for this year.
How to submit a Stage 2 full project proposal
We will contact all applicants who're invited to Stage 2 to develop a full project proposal. The forms will be shared by email.
To complete your proposal, check the pdf guidance document (421 KB) .
For guidance on creating a good Equalities Impact Assessment: