Comment on a planning application
How to make a comment on a planning application.
To have your say in the decision making process, you can comment on planning applications. You can support, object to or make a general comment. We’ll take comments into account when we make a decision on a planning application.
at Planning Online.
You normally have 21 days from the date of publicity to make a comment. If we receive your comment before we make a decision, it will be considered.
If the application will be decided by a Development Control Committee, we’ll consider all comments received up to two weeks before the committee meeting.
Other ways to comment
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- write to Development Management, City Hall, Bristol City Council, PO Box 3176, Bristol, BS3 9FS
- contact your local councillor and send us your comment through them
If you have emailed or added your comment on the website, you don’t need to send us a copy of your comment by post.
What to include in your comment:
- your name and address
- application number
- site address
Publishing your personal details
If you make a written comment, this must be put on public file by law. This doesn’t mean that the information can be reused for any purpose. It means:
- your comment, name and address will form part of the planning application documents
- your comment, name and address will be published on our website
We’ll remove your signature, email address and telephone number before publishing your comment.
It may be possible for your name and address to be browsed through internet browsers and search engines.
We’ll consider keeping your personal details private, for example keeping an address confidential if someone is the subject of harassment.
If you want your comment to be kept confidential, write a letter marked “Confidential” to the Development Management Service Manager.
Comments we won’t accept
We won’t take your comment into consideration or publish it if:
- it contains anything that is racist, defamatory or derogatory
- the comment is anonymous
What you can comment on
All comments will be considered. We can only take planning issues into account, such as:
- loss of light or privacy
- overshadowing on your home
- highway safety
- traffic and parking issues
- historic buildings
- appearance of the development
We can’t take some issues into account, such as:
- loss of view
- effect on property values
- private rights
- boundary disputes
- construction noise
What happens after you comment
We’ll send you an email acknowledging your comment. If you sent us a comment by post and didn’t include an email address, wait five days and then contact us to check if we received it.
We won’t contact you again until after a decision is made, unless the application is:
- to be decided by a Development Control Committee
- significantly altered or withdrawn
We get a lot of comments about planning applications, so we can’t enter into individual discussion.