Make a complaint about building works done without planning permission.

What you can report

We investigate complaints about work that may have been carried out without permission. We can stop or prevent works that:

  • are harmful to neighbours
  • don't follow our planning policy

We can serve a planning enforcement notice if development is:

  • carried out without planning permission
  • not in line with planning permission

Report it

You can use our online form to tell us about a possible breach of planning rules.

Report a breach of planning rules

Upload evidence

You can upload up to four images, pdfs or documents if you want to send evidence of the problem you're reporting.

Other ways to make a report

You can write to us at Planning Enforcement, City Hall, Bristol City Council, PO Box 3399, Bristol, BS1 9NE.

You must tell us:

  • when the activity started
  • the address of the land or building
  • the approximate dimensions of any building works
  • names, addresses and telephone numbers of any owners, occupiers or builders involved
  • details of any problems caused, such as noise, traffic or smells

If you think a building or land is being used in a way that is not allowed, you must tell us how often it is used and when it is being used.

Our approach to planning enforcement

You can read our pdf Local Enforcement Plan (274 KB) .