Health and safety standards for landlords

Health and safety standards for landlords

You must keep the property you rent safe and free from health hazards.

The Housing Health and Safety Ratings System (HHSRS)

A landlord is responsible for the provision, state and proper working order of:

  • The exterior and structural elements of the dwelling, including all elements essential to the dwelling including access, amenity spaces, the common parts within the landlords control, associated outbuildings, garden, yard walls etc.
  • The installations within and associated with the dwelling for:
    • The supply and use of water, gas and electricity
    • Personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage
    • Food safety
    • Ventilation
    • Space heating and heating water

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is the method used by local authorities to assess the condition of these aspects of a property. The HHSRS is not a standard which the property must meet, but a system to assess the likely risk of harm that could occur from any ‘deficiency’ associated with a house or flat.


A hazard is any risk of harm to the health or safety of an actual or potential occupier that arises from a deficiency. If a hazard presents a severe threat to health or safety, we must take appropriate enforcement action in relation to the hazard.

For more information on the HHSRS please contact us or ask us to send you a copy of our Landlords' Manual.

Responsibilities for gas and electrical safety

A landlord must have gas appliances checked for safety by a  Gas Safe registered engineer within 12 months of their installation. You need to have further checks at least once every twelve months after that.

A landlord must ensure that the electrical installation and all electrical appliances are ‘safe’ with little risk of injury or death to humans, or risk of damage to property. This applies to when the tenancy begins and throughout the life of the tenancy.

Furnishings and fire safety

A landlord must  make sure furniture and furnishings they supply are fire safe.

Energy Performance Certificates

See Energy Performance Certificates for landlords.