How funding will be given to local areas from the Community Infrastructure Levy and Section 106 agreements

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) and the Section 106 (S106) agreements

As part of the planning process, a developer often has to give money to the council to pay for improvements in the area where their development is happening.

This is usually through a planning charge called the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) but is sometimes through a planning obligation called a Section 106 agreement.

In Bristol, some of the CIL and S106 money received is allocated to Area Committees for spending decisions.

What S106 and CIL money is used for

Section 106 Funds

S106 funds are often explicitly for highways improvements, parks improvements and tree planting.

Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

85% of CIL money raised is used to pay for city-wide projects delivered by Bristol City Council. For example, improving roads and schools.  

15% of CIL funds and relevant local S106 funds are made available for local improvements. Decisions on how the money is allocated is made by councillors.

Areas with a Neighbourhood Development Plan (NDP) receive 25% of CIL funds raised within their area to support the priorities they've identified.

Local councillors allocate the funds through their area committees to support local priority projects, such as improving community centres or parks. There are six area committees that cover the city

Amount of available funds

The amount of funds depends on the number and scale of new developments that are taking place in each of the areas covered by the six area committees.

CIL money is paid to the council throughout the year so each area's CIL fund increases every month.

Local CIL money, 15% of money raised, can be spent anywhere in the area covered by an area committee and on any project which meets the criteria for the legal use of CIL

S106 money spend has to fulfil the terms of the legal agreement between the developer and the council.

Our monthly reports show how much planning money is available for each area committee to spend, what funds have been committed and what each S106 purpose is:    

Who decides how the money gets spent

Councillors work with the local communities in their wards to help them identify and prioritise neighbourhood improvements to fund with the CIL and S106 money that's available to them.  In the areas where there is insufficient funding available in any one year, councillors and communities are still encouraged to meet to discuss area priorities that could be funded in future years or through an alternative pot.

Councillors make decisions about local funds once a year in the city's six area committee meetings.

How you can get involved

If you're interested in applying, see Area Committee Funding Process. This page has more information about the process for this year.

Stage 1 (submission of Outline Proposal forms) has now closed for the year.

If you want to get involved you can:

Neighbourhood plans