Life Balance: exercise classes for people with multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's disease
Group exercise classes for people with multiple sclerosis (MS) or Parkinson's disease who want to become more active.
What Life Balance classes are
Life Balance is a specialist exercise scheme for people with multiple sclerosis (MS) and Parkinson’s.
The sessions are run by qualified exercise referral instructors who have done specialist multiple sclerosis (MS) and Parkinson’s disease training.
The group classes are every week and include circuit activity in a studio, adapted to each individual’s needs. Doing the classes in a group means you share similar experiences with other participants and benefit from doing similar activities.
The scheme is in partnership with the MS Society, Parkinson’s Society, Everyone Active Ltd and Parkwood Leisure.
The benefits of exercising
A regular exercise routine can help you:
- maintain your abilities
- strengthen muscles
- increase joint mobility
- build up general fitness and health
This will make everyday life easier and improve your quality of life.
Making exercise part of your regular routine can
- provide a sense of achievement
- reduce feelings of stress, anxiety and depression
- improve mood and general wellbeing
For more information on MS and exercise, see the recovery programme (exercise) on the Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis website.
For more information on Parkinson's disease and exercise, see the Exercise and Parkinson's page on the Parkinson's UK website.
How the classes can help
The classes can
- improve fitness and function in mild MS
- maintain function for people with moderate to severe disability
- help people with significant disability with walking and other mobility related activities
You’ll get the most benefit from classes if you attend weekly. If you are ill you can make up a missed session.
How to get a referral
Ask your health professional to complete the MS and Parkinson's exercise referral form (pdf, 60KB) (opens new window) and give it to you.
Contact one of these centres to arrange your first appointment and bring your completed referral form with you:
- Alistair MacFarlane at Henbury Leisure Centre on 07825 033 741 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Naomi Button or the fitness manager at Hengrove Park Leisure Centre on 0117 937 0200
You can either pay at each session or buy blocks of 6 sessions upfront for a discount (almost 10%). Ask for prices when you contact the centre.