Bulky household item collection
Bulky household item collection
You can donate large items like furniture to be reused by organisations, and we can also collect large items from your home.
Organisations that collect bulky items
There are organisations that will collect some large items for free if they can be reused:
We've changed the way you access some of our online forms
You need to create an account and sign in to use our bin, recycling and some street issue online forms. When you sign in you’ll be able to:
- submit a form
- check the progress of your reports, orders and referrals
- look at past communications with us, such as forms you've submitted, phone calls or emails
This account will be separate from other accounts you may already have with us. You can use the same email address that you use for other accounts.
We are fixing some recently identified accessibility issues with bins, recycling and street issue forms. If you experience difficulties, use our bins and recycling contact form instead.
- one to three items: £25
- four to six items: £50
We no longer offer any free or reduced cost bulky waste collections if you are claiming benefits. The scheme was withdrawn in 2016.
We’ll collect items between 7am and 5pm. You should:
- make sure items are visible and accessible from the road: we can't open gates or look over high hedges or walls
- put items outside your property by 7am
- tape an X over glass surfaces
- bundle pieces together if you take items apart
- protect items such as fabric sofas and mattresses in case of rain
We’ll only collect items that can be safely carried by two people and we’ll only carry items up or down a maximum of two steps.
- fridges and freezers
- washing machines
- electrical items
- fixtures and fittings, such as doors, worktops or bathroom items
We don’t collect:
- business waste (including furniture owned by the landlord of a rented property)
- school and charities waste
- paint and other liquids
- anything over 6 feet/ 1.8 metres in length
- anything that can’t be carried by two people
- car parts and tyres
- building waste
- heavily soiled items
- garden waste
How to pay:
- with a credit or debit card
- at a Citizen Service Point (CSP), use the phones to book your collection and get a reference number to use to pay in cash at a PayPoint in the CSP.
Cancelling or changing your collection
To cancel your bulky waste collection call us on 0117 922 2100. You'll need the reference number we gave to you when you requested the collection. We can only give refunds if your bulky waste collection is cancelled five working days in advance.
To change the date or the items call us on 0117 922 2100 by 2.30pm on the working day before your collection.
If you change your order, we'll cancel the original request and create a new one. The collection date may change
We can only change the date of the collection, and not the collection day. If your address collection day is a Monday it will always be a Monday.
If the items aren't collected by the end of the day your collection is booked, leave them out and report it by calling us on 0117 922 2100: choose option 1, then option 2.
You need to report a missed collection within five working days. We can book you in for the next available collection.
If you don't report a missed collection within five working days, you may not be able to get a refund and we may not be able to rebook the collection without an extra charge.
We only collect items that are on your booking.
What we do with the waste
We donate fridges, electric cookers and washing machines for reuse if they work. We’ll ask you if your items work when you book your collection.
We’ll recycle anything that we can’t donate. If items can’t be recycled or donated, they’ll go to landfill.