Organisations that will collect items, free of charge, and book or cancel a bulky waste collection.
Organisations that collect bulky items
There are organisations that will collect some large items for free if they can be reused:
- one to three items: £25
- four to six items: £50
We no longer offer any free or reduced cost bulky waste collections if you are claiming benefits. The scheme was withdrawn in 2016.
We'll collect items between 7am and 5pm. You should:
- make sure items are visible and accessible from the road: we can't open gates or look over high hedges or walls
- put items outside your property by 7am
- tape an X over glass surfaces
- bundle pieces together if you take items apart
- protect items such as fabric sofas and mattresses in case of rain
We'll only collect items that can be safely carried by two people and we'll only carry items up or down a maximum of two steps.
- fridges and freezers, emptied of all food items
- washing machines
- electrical items
- fixtures and fittings, such as doors, worktops or bathroom items
We don't collect:
- business waste (including furniture and mattresses owned by the landlord of a rented property)
- school and charities waste
- paint and other liquids
- anything over 6.5 feet / 2 metres in length
- anything that can't be carried by two people
- car parts and tyres
- building waste
- heavily soiled items
- garden waste
- cardboard (you can put this in your blue recycling bag on your recycling collection day)
How to pay when you're using an online form
You must pay with a credit or debit card when you order.
Your booking won't be completed until you've paid.
When you fill in an order form and select the submit button, a payment page should open automatically. If it does not open, you need to open it by selecting the link to the payment on the confirmation page.
If you have problems making a payment online or do not receive a confirmation email once you've paid, call us on 0117 922 2100 to book over the phone.
This form will be unavailable from 8pm Thursday 29 September to 9am Friday 30 September.
This is because of a system update.
We're sorry for any inconvenience.
Make sure you click 'find' to choose a specific item once you've selected a category. Selecting 'general waste' only will not add an item to your collection. The crews will only collect the specific items that have been selected.
How to pay when you book at a Citizen Service Point (CSP)
Use the phones at the CSP to book your collection and get a reference number to use to pay in cash at a PayPoint in the CSP.
How to check details of your collection
To check your collection day, items for collection and selected location, log in to your account Go to https://bristolcouncil.powerappsportals.com/Account/Login (opens new window)and select the Case number under My services. If you do this, you should be able to see your completed form with all the information.
Cancelling or changing your collection
We can only give refunds if your bulky waste collection is cancelled five working days in advance.
You can cancel your bulky waste collection:
- Sign in to your account
- Select bulky waste collection case number
- Scroll to the bottom of the page
- Select the "Request cancellation" button.
- Over the phone
- Call us on 0117 922 2100.
- Tell us the reference number we gave to you when you requested the collection.
To change the date or the items call us on 0117 922 2100 by 2.30pm on the working day before your collection.
If you change your order, we'll cancel the original request and create a new one. The collection date is likely to change.
We can only change the date of the collection, and not the collection day. If your address collection day is a Monday it will always be a Monday.
If the items aren't collected by the end of the day your collection is booked, leave them out and report it by calling us on 0117 922 2100.
You need to report a missed collection within five working days.
If you don't report a missed collection within five working days, you may not be able to get a refund and we may not be able to rebook the collection without an extra charge.
We only collect items that are on your booking.
What we do with the waste
We donate fridges, electric cookers and washing machines for reuse if they work. We'll ask you if your items work when you book your collection.
We'll recycle anything that we can't donate. If items can't be recycled or donated, they'll go to landfill.