Organisations that collect bulky items for free, how to book or cancel a bulky waste collection.
Free bulky item collection
Organisations that collect some bulky items for free if they can be reused include:
Book a bulky waste collection
Items which are not soft furnishings, such as fridges, bed frames and mattresses, cost:
- £25 for up to 3 items
- £50 for 4 to 6 items
Soft furnishings, such as sofas, computer chairs, futons or armchairs, cost:
- £25 for 1 item
- £40 for 2 items
- £50 for 3 items
You must make a separate booking for soft furnishings.
We'll usually collect your bulky items between 7am and 5pm, but it may be slightly later. You must:
- put your items out by 7am
- make sure items are on the kerb outside your property, visible and accessible from the road (we will not open gates, look behind walls or hedges, or enter gardens or communal bin stores)
- try not to put items in the way of people using the pavement
- make sure we can get to the items without using steps, we will not carry items up or down steps
- tape all glass surfaces corner to corner, including shelves and mirrors, so they do not smash when moved around
- group or tie pieces together if you take items apart
- empty and clean fridges and freezers
We cannot collect items that are soaked with water if they're too heavy.
You must protect soft furnishings and mattresses, such as fabric sofas and chairs, before and during the collection day in case it rains. If you use a cover to protect your items from rain, we'll remove it and leave it outside your property when we collect the item. If you want us to collect the cover with your item, tell us in the booking form.
We'll only collect items that can be safely carried by 2 people.
We will not collect items that are very dirty.
We can only collect items you tell us about in your booking. We cannot collect substitute items if you have not changed the booking. We cannot usually collect items which are not listed as options on the booking form.
- fridges and freezers, with all food removed
- washing machines
- bed frames, bases and mattresses
- electrical items
- some fixtures and fittings, such as doors, worktops or bathroom items
We don't collect:
- any items not on the kerb
- soft furnishings and mattresses that are soaked with water
- anything that can't be carried by 2 people
- items that are very dirty
- items we can only get to using steps
- business waste, including furniture and mattresses owned by the landlord of a rented property
- school and charity waste
- paint or other liquids
- anything over 6.5 feet or 2 metres in length
- car parts and tyres
- building and DIY waste
- garden waste and soil
- cardboard, you can put this in your blue recycling bag on your recycling collection day
How to pay
You must pay with a credit or debit card when you order. Your booking won't be completed until you've paid.
When you submit an order form, a payment page should open automatically. If it doesn't open automatically, open it by selecting the payment link on the confirmation page.
If you have problems making a payment, call us on 0117 922 2100 to book over the phone.
How to book
If you select the ‘general rubbish' category, make sure you select the items you want us to collect from the subheadings.
We'll only collect the specific items you tell us about.
If the items you want us to collect change before your collection date, call us to change your booking. This might mean we'll collect the items at a later date. This will usually be the next available collection date.
Call 0117 922 2100 to book a collection if you cannot use the above link.
Check your collection details
To check what we're collecting and when:
- Log in to your account.
- Go to my services.
- Select the booking case number.
Change your collection
To change the date of the collection or the items booked, call us on 0117 922 2100 by 2.30pm the working day before your collection.
If you change your collection, we may change the date of your collection. We'll tell you what the new date will be. It will always be for the same day of the week as your original order.
Cancel your collection
You must cancel 5 working days before your collection date to get a refund. To cancel:
- Log in to your account.
- Select bulky waste collection case number.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Select the request cancellation button.
If you have trouble with this process, you can call us on 0117 922 2100 to cancel your booking.
Tell us about a missed collection
If we don't collect the items by the end of your collection day, you should:
- continue to leave your items out for collection
- call us on 0117 922 2100
You'll need to leave your items out for up to 5 workings but we aim to collect them sooner.
When you leave your items out you'll still need to follow the collection conditions above such as, we will not collect items that are very dirty.
You must tell us about a missed collection within 5 working days to get a refund. After 5 working days you'll need to book and pay for a new collection.
After you've told us about a missed collection, we'll collect your items within 5 working days. We'll only collect the items on your booking.
What we do with the waste
We donate fridges, electric cookers and washing machines for reuse if they work. We'll recycle anything we can't donate. If we can't recycle or donate items, they'll go to landfill.