Recycling in flats

Mini recycling centres

You can usually find mini recycling centres (MRCs) in blocks of flats that have 15 or more individual flats or in households of multiple occupancy (HMO).

Mini recycling centres are made up of a set of clearly marked large bins.

Request a MRC at your block of flats

We can install a mini recycling centre free of charge.

If your block has under 15 flats or your HMO has under 15 bed spaces it is very unlikely that your request for a MRC will be approved.

Request a Mini Recycling Centre

Report a missed collection of the communal recycling bin (MRC)

Report a missed recycling collection

Find out what you can and can’t recycle in your MRC

You can recycle:

  • cans: drinks cans, food tins, clean foil, aerosols (remove lids)
  • cardboard. Cardboard boxes such as cereal boxes, corrugated cardboard and brown envelopes
  • food waste: all cooked and uncooked food, peelings, tea bags, eggshells, meat and fish bones
  • glass: glass bottles, glass jars; rinse out and place the lids with your cans
  • paper: newspapers, magazines, directories, catalogues, envelopes, junk mail, leaflets, yellow pages
  • plastic: bottle tops, bottles, pots and tubs, take-way containers, food trays, Tetra Paks *

       * No black plastic. Note further plastics are listed under what you can’t recycle.

You can’t recycle:

  • cellophane, cling film and bubble wrap
  • crisp packets and wrappers
  • drinking glasses
  • flower pots
  • household waste
  • light bulbs/window glass
  • packing tape
  • plastic: carrier bags and bin liners, black plastic, hard plastics
  • polystyrene
  • pyrex or china
  • bulky waste - furniture or large appliances. If you have large items that need collecting, please call our customer services centre on 0117 922 2100 or visit our bulky waste collection page

Schools and educational establishments

Schools and educational establishments may be eligible to receive mini recycling centre bins if they are currently on our refuse collection scheme.  For more information email our Waste officers.