Recycling in flats
Mini recycling centres for blocks of flats
What is a mini recycling centre, what properties can get one, how to ask for one.
Mini recycling centres (MRCs) are made up of a set of large bins.
You can usually find them in:
- blocks of flats that have 15 or more individual flats
- households of multiple occupancy (HMOs) that have 15 or more bed spaces
Ask for an MRC for your block or HMO
We can install an MRC free of charge.
We don’t install MRCs in blocks with less that 15 flats or HMOs with less than 15 bed spaces.
What happens next
We’ll add your request to the MRC request list. When your request reaches the top of the list, we’ll contact you to arrange a visit to the property, to see if we can install an MRC there.
We aim to do a visit within a few weeks of getting your request. However, there are over 100 sites asking for an MRC at the moment, so it might take us longer to do the visit.
If the property is suitable, we’ll install an MRC within four weeks of the visit.
What you can and can’t recycle in your MRC
You can recycle:
- cans: drinks cans, food tins, clean foil, aerosols (remove lids)
- cardboard: boxes such as cereal boxes, corrugated cardboard and brown envelopes
- food waste: all cooked and uncooked food, peelings, tea bags, eggshells, meat and fish bones
- glass: glass bottles, glass jars; rinse out and place the lids with your cans
- paper: newspapers, magazines, directories, catalogues, envelopes, junk mail, leaflets, yellow pages
- plastic: bottle tops, bottles, pots and tubs, take-way containers, food trays, Tetra Paks
No black plastic, carrier bags and bin liners, hard plastics.
You can’t recycle:
- cellophane, cling film and bubble wrap
- crisp packets and wrappers
- drinking glasses
- flower pots
- household waste
- light bulbs
- window glass
- packing tape
- pyrex or china
- bulky waste, for example furniture or large appliances
If you have large items to recycle, call our customer services centre on 0117 922 2100 or visit our bulky waste collection page to book a collection.
Schools and educational establishments
Schools and educational establishments on our refuse collection scheme may be eligible to get mini recycling centre bins.
For more information contact our waste officers.
Report a missed collection of the communal recycling bin (MRC)
To report a missed collection for an MRC, ring us on 0117 922 2100.