Changes of circumstance: benefits

Let us know about a change in circumstances so you get the right benefits

Have your circumstances changed

You must tell us straight away if your circumstances change and you're getting Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction.

If you don't you may lose out on benefit or be overpaid.  If you’re overpaid you may have to pay this back.

Tell us about a change in circumstance

Some of the changes you may need to tell us about

  • any period of temporary absence of 13 weeks or more (4 weeks or more if you also receive Housing Benefit)
  • any period of temporary absence of 4 weeks or more
  • changes to income, wages or savings
  • starting or leaving work
  • changes in  working hours
  • moving home
  • someone else moves into or out of your home
  • birth of a child
  • your children leaving school or starting work
  • the circumstances of anyone living with you changes
  • any other change that may affect your entitlement to benefit

Evidence you may need to provide

If you’re moving house and are a private or housing association tenant you need to provide a copy of your new tenancy agreement showing:

  • your name as the tenant
  • the date the tenancy starts
  • the amount of the rent and how often you have to pay this amount
  • details of any charges that are included in the rent, like heating or water

Other evidence you may need to provide

We'll contact you if we need more evidence or information and explain what you need to provide.

Upload evidence to support your claim

You can email scanned documents to

Please include your claim reference number or National Insurance number. 

What happens next

We'll write to you within 22 days of receiving confirmation of your change of circumstance and any other evidence we need.  We'll tell you:

  • how much benefit you'll get
  • when your benefit will change from
  • if you’ve been overpaid
  • what information we've used to work out your benefit
  • what you should do if you think your benefit is wrong