If you’ve bought a council flat or maisonette, either directly through the right to buy scheme or from a previous owner, you’re a council leaseholder.
Your rights and responsibilities
Your rights and responsibilities are set out in your lease. If you have any questions about your lease please contact Right to Buy and Leasehold Services on 0117 352 5511 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to report a repair
Repairs we can fix
We’re responsible for repairs to the exterior and structure of leasehold buildings and for the maintenance of communal areas.
To report a repair to the exterior of your property or to a communal area, call the repairs team on 0117 922 2200. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 6pm.
To report an emergency repair out of hours call our emergency team on 0117 922 2050.
Repairs you need to fix
As a leaseholder you're responsible for most repairs to your property. These include:
- all internal repairs
- repairs to window glass
- repairs to doors (unless they open directly outside)
- internal pipes and electrical wiring
- plumbing and heating
- repairs to sheds sold with the property
Visit fire safety for advice on how to prevent a fire in your home and what to do if there’s a fire in your home or block.
We’re making sure that all of our blocks of flats meet the Decent Homes Standard . It’s likely that at some point your block will need refurbishment or maintenance.
Major work projects (where the cost of your contribution is more than £250) include:
- roof repair and replacement
- external repairs and maintenance
- new windows
- lifts refurbishment and replacement
- laundry refurbishment and replacement
- external decorations
- communal internal decorations
See the leaseholders handbook (pdf, 349KB) (opens new window) for more information.
Pay your service charge
See rents and service charges for how much you need to pay.
See pay your service charge for different ways to pay your service charge.
If you’re concerned or unsure, see advice on service charges for leaseholders.
If you have any questions about your service charge, please contact Right to Buy and Leasehold Services on 0117 352 5511 or email email@example.com.
Making improvements to your home
If you want to make improvements to your home, you'll need to get permission.
Improvements might include:
- installing a new bathroom or shower
- installing a new kitchen
- changing electrical wiring
- replacing external doors or windows
Adapting your home
The right adaptations or equipment can help you to carry on living independently at home.
See adapting or improving your home for general advice on maintaining your home and information on a range of loans and grants available to homeowners.
You can use this form to contact us about your lease, service charges, or any other general questions.
Get involved: Leaseholders forum
This is a new way for you to comment on how housing services are run.
The Leaseholder forum will meet three times a year.
Next forum meeting
Time and date: 6pm to 8pm, Tuesday 19 October 2021
Book a place on our Leaseholders Forum eventbrite page.
What you can do at the forum
At the forum you can:
- meet with Housing Staff to comment on the service and put forward ideas
- discuss issues with other leaseholders
- nominate a leaseholder representative to the Housing Management Board
If you've any queries email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out about other ways to get involved on the Tenant participation page.
Previous forum minutes
- Leaseholder forum: 27 July 2021 minutes (pdf, 175KB) (opens new window)
- Leaseholder forum: 26 April 2021 minutes (pdf, 189KB) (opens new window)
- Leaseholder forum: 26 October 2020 minutes (pdf, 128KB) (opens new window)
- Leaseholder forum: 23 October 2019 minutes (pdf, 204KB) (opens new window)
Housing News magazine
This is our magazine for all tenants and leaseholders
You can look at past issues online at our Housing News issue page
If you have any feedback or ideas for Housing News, contact email@example.com or 0117 352 1444.