Noise complaints

Noise complaints

What to do if you have a noise problem near your home or at work, which you can’t sort out yourself.

Noise problems

Before you report a noise problem, try to talk to the person responsible. They may not realise they’re causing a problem. The Bristol Mediation Service could help you do this. Their services are free, confidential and impartial.

If this doesn't sort out the problem or you can't talk to the person, we might be able to help.

We're unable to investigate a noise complaint until you have a reported it online and completed a 14 day noise diary.

We can investigate noise from:

  • noisy neighbours, like loud music, shouting or DIY at night
  • burglar and car alarms
  • animals, like barking dogs or crowing cockerels
  • building sites
  • noisy equipment in a commercial property
  • pubs and clubs
  • deliveries or waste collections at a commercial property

We can't investigate:

  • if you don't know where the noise is coming from
  • everyday household noise, such as footsteps, doors closing, vacuum cleaners, washing machines, children playing, babies crying or talking
  • traffic, aircraft or railway noise
  • noise from outdoor sports
  • noise in the street, such as vehicles left running, car stereos, shouting or car horns

Report a noise problem online

Noise at work

If you have a noise issue at work, talk to your employer, they may be able to help you. If this doesn’t help, contact our health and safety team on 0117 922 2500 or email

Site Map