Our website will be unavailable from midday to 3pm on Wednesday 24 July. Sorry for any inconvenience.

What is it and what to do if you find it.

Japanese knotweed isn't native to the UK. It can be identified using the guide on the Non-Native Species Secretariat website. It causes problems because it:

  • can force its way through concrete or brick, so can damage buildings or roads
  • grows in thick clusters, which means native plants can't grow
  • is very difficult to get rid of

On your property

Get information about how to control and dispose of Japanese knotweed Go to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prevent-japanese-knotweed-from-spreading (opens new window) on GOV.UK.

You must not:

  • put any part of it in your green garden waste bin, black wheelie bin or compost bin
  • take it to a tip, recycling centre or waste transfer station
  • dump or fly-tip cuttings

You must stop Japanese knotweed spreading from your land. You could be prosecuted if you allow it to spread onto someone else's property.

Council tenants
If you're a council tenant and find Japanese knotweed in your garden:

On your neighbour's property

If you're concerned that Japanese knotweed on your neighbour's land might spread onto your land, try and speak to them, they might not realise there's an issue.

If this doesn't work, you could involve Resolve West Go to https://resolvewest.org/ (opens new window). They use trained mediators to get neighbours together to sort out issues. The service is free and impartial.

If the issue is still not sorted out, you could consider taking legal action. See take action through the courts Go to https://www.gov.uk/how-to-resolve-neighbour-disputes/take-action-through-the-courts (opens new window) on GOV.UK.

On land around a railway

Contact Network Rail Go to https://www.networkrail.co.uk/communities/contact-us/ (opens new window) if you find Japanese knotweed next to a railway line, embankment or station. Ask them to treat the problem.

In a park, on a river bank or other council land

Report Japanese knotweed in a park, on a river bank or other council land using the problem in a park or open space form.

Report a problem in a park or open space