What is it and how we deal with it.
Bristol has a strong, industrial heritage which means that some land may have been contaminated by old industrial uses. This could cause harm to human health or the environment.
Sites such as former factories, mines, steelworks, refineries and landfills could be affected.
Contaminated land is generally described as land polluted by:
- heavy metals
- oils and tars
- chemical substances and preparations
- inspect land in the city to identify any that is contaminated and prioritise any level of risk from contamination
- keep a contaminated land register, it currently has no entries
- advise on development of land
- respond to pollution incidents
If youre developing or buying land its your responsibility to investigate and deal with any land contamination issues. See land contamination for business.
Please report any pollution incidents, such as leaks and spills, to our customer service centre, 0117 922 2500 option 3.