Small changes to planning permission (non-material amendments)

Small changes to planning permission (non-material amendments)

What to do if you want to make a small change to planning permission.

What is a non-material amendment?

This depends on the individual planning application. As a guide, we usually won’t accept amendments if:

  • the application site area is different to the original application
  • the application description is different to the original application
  • the proposal would result in changes to external details that would materially alter the appearance of the building
  • the amendment significantly increases the size of any part of the development
  • the amendment increases the height of the building or structure
  • the amendment locates any part of the development closer to a neighbour
  • the amendment changes windows or doors in any elevation facing a neighbour, which increases overlooking in any way
  • the amendment would result in a greater visual intrusion, loss or light or feeling of enclosure to neighbours
  • the amendment would affect any relevant objections to the original proposal
  • we took enforcement action against your development, for example for not complying with approved plans

You need to make a new planning application for anything that isn’t a small change.

How to apply

If you have a legal interest in the land, you can make an application, even if you didn’t make the original planning application. Examples of people with a legal interest in the land:

  • a freeholder
  • a holder of a lease of over seven years
  • a mortgage lender
  • someone with an estate contract

To propose a non-material amendment, first contact the case officer who originally dealt with the planning application. You need to set out your proposed changes clearly.

The case officer will let you know if you can submit the amendment as non-material, or if you need to make a new planning application.

If the case officer confirms you can submit the amendment as non-material, you can apply for a non-material amendment online and read the help text at the Planning Portal website. You should read the application help text for further guidance.

If the amendment is for a householder application, the fee is £34. For all other types of application, the fee is £234.

As part of your application, you must serve notice on any owner of the land to which your application relates. You can get the non-material amendments notice from the Planning Portal website.

An owner may be:

  • the actual owner
  • someone with more than seven years’ interest in the land, such as a tenant
  • someone who has exchanged contracts to buy the land

Other ways to apply

You can download an application form from the Planning Portal website and send it to us at Development Management, City Hall, Bristol City Council, PO Box 3399, Bristol, BS1 9NE.

What happens next

We have to take into account any comments received within 14 days of notice being served on an owner.

We’ll send you a written decision within 28 days. 

About the application process

In most cases, we won’t notify or consult neighbours.

You can remove or change conditions of the original permission, as long as the change is non-material.

Applications and decisions must go on the planning register.

Privacy statement

Read our privacy statement and our Development Management: planning and enforcement privacy notice to see what we do with your personal information.