Our website will be unavailable from midday to 3pm on Wednesday 24 July. Sorry for any inconvenience.

You don't need planning permission for some building work.

You can find examples of common projects at the Planning Portal Go to https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200125/do_you_need_permission (opens new window). This will tell you if your project is covered by permitted development, which means you won't need planning permission.

Permitted development restrictions

If you live in certain parts of Bristol, permitted development won't apply to you, so you will still need to get planning permission. Find out if there are restrictions on permitted development in your area.

Residential permitted development rights only apply to houses. If you live in a flat, maisonette or house above a basement flat, it's likely that you will need planning permission for an external extension or alteration.

Single storey rear extensions

You can build larger single storey rear extensions under permitted development, if you do not live in a conservation area. The size of the extension you can build depends on your property:

  • on an attached house: between three to six metres
  • on a detached house: between four to eight metres

Your extension must meet all other conditions that usually apply to extensions under permitted development.

You must fill out the pdf householder development prior notification form (107 KB) and return it to us. You may still need to obtain other consents, for example under building regulations or Party Wall Acts. Find out about the Party Wall etc Act 1996 at GOV.UK.

Solar panels

Some restictions can apply to installing solar panels so check if you need planning permission for solar panels

Privacy statement

Read our privacy statement and our pdf Development Management: planning and enforcement privacy notice (118 KB)  to see what we do with your personal information.

Contact information

Development Management

City Hall
PO Box 3399
Bristol, BS1 9NE

Email: development.management@bristol.gov.uk
Tel: 0117 922 3000